Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Not To Do....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85blaze, Mar 31, 2000.

1. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

Well I am working on my first K5 and have all sorts of ideas for it, Is there anything that I shouldn't do? from your guys/gal's experiance? Interior, exterior, Susp, driveline... etc...

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I know from personal experience: "you cant do it all at once" "leave well enough alone" and " if it aint broke, dont try to fix it" Seriously:
    Get to know you're truck first. Buy the Haynes or the Chilton book. read through it, fix smal bugs like tailgate, power-windows, rust, etc. <font color=red>Then</font color=red> go for the lift and big tire combination... It has taken some of the guys here at CK5 8-9 years to come to where they are right now. I am currently at my 4 year learning about these trucks and still havent got the guts to take down my T-case and fix that leak.( I'm getting close though!!)
    Good luck.
    Espen

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Espen88k5 hit it on the nail!

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

4. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

Well, for starters, always remember one very important definition:
    WIFE: the voice of reason that prevents a K5'er from obtaining certain "needs"

I would suggest getting the 'security' and 'safety' taken care of first. This means make a listing of all relevant components for insurance reasons, and talk to your insurance carrier regarding what they will cover. If you read the posts earlier regarding this topic, you'll get the idea. Also, check safety items like seatbelts and brakes, for obvious reasons. Then, you can get into the engine and suspension.

What not to do: Don't proceed on any project without posting your idea first ! This website can and will save you many headaches when you start thinking "big". Take advantage of the information shared, and you'll do fine !

Also, do you subscribe to any 4-wheel magazines ? That's always helpful for "do's" and "don'ts"

Good luck, have fun !

Blaize (fellow 1985'er !)

5. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

A few don'ts:
    Don't install a blown 427 with chrome dressup kit
    Don't install a 5 speed manual overdrive transmission
    Don't install front and rear axles from a ton truck
    Don't install tires larger than 33-12.50-15
    Don't do a killer paint job with cowl induction hood and graphics
    Don't lift higher than 4"
    Don't install any interior parts from a '93 up Silverado

or We'll be REALLY jealous! :-)

Good luck on the upgrade path, take your time, do it right.
    Have fun!
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

6. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

first thing I did before mods of any kind, get it running reliably. Fix the small stuff first i.e. chrome pulling off, aligning your doors as you know checvy truck doors droop over time, make sure you have all your windows and such latch and roll up with out binding, clean your interior and so on, do an entire visual inspection of it to then go on to the big stuff.

7. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

I am now on my first K5, but I have to agree with what others have mentioned on this thread. Getting the motor/transmission/BRAKES(!!!!!) operating is the top priority. I have seen a few guys hit the trail with newly lifted/modified vehicles and crash them or get stuck because the truck wasn't straight mechanically.

So far, I have put $1500 into my truck ($1000 to buy it, $500 for parts to get it running strong again, etc) and now I am ready for the lift. I realize that I lucked into a truck in great shape (it's an 82 with 50,000 original miles [​IMG]). Consider my experience at the low end of things. Before anyone flames me for being so lucky, there is a Cruiser in my driveway that is wrecked that has $8000 in it. I'll stop crying about that in a coule of weeeks when I get the lift in my new truck and can get away from civilization.

8. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Not to mention, that fixing the small stuff doesnt stretch a pocket book that far.

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

What ever you do do it your self, there is nothing better than the feeling you did it. I have done my own body work, my own stereo installs, engine work..Im just starting on the susp so I have been posting alot about that...And if you dont know or are having trouble Post it here...

10. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status

Thanks For all the input! yeah I have figured all the little stuff first, and in result, its only going to have 2"lift and maybe 33's.. But I am doing major motor upgrade, which will be nice, and probably next year i will be doing the tranny and tcase as result of my motor upgrade, but hey, sacrafices...

Blaze On ----- into the $$$ pit! Dang these things can cost ya alot!

11. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

my two "sense worth"...many of great rigs out there that mechanically are wonders to behold, but the look like hammmered dog do do, fix all there is too fix mechanically, do the suspension work you NEED!! buy tires just large enough to do the job for which you plan to wheel your rig and learn all there is too learn about Blazers then start on the cosmetic crap...WK

12. 85blaze

85blaze 1/2 ton status