Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What NOT to on Thursday nights...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KRAZIE87K5, Aug 22, 2003.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Ok... since this will come as no suprise to anyone... Bryan and I pulled yet another hair-brained stunt last night... we decided to swap the rear springs in his rig. Bryan also decided that it would be a keen idea to replace the perches that he had on his 14B while we were there. I won't even bother explaining... Just look at the pics below.

[​IMG]
    The COOL way to remove u-bolts from your rig in Northern states:
    [​IMG]
    One spring out:
    [​IMG]
    Here's the Dr. extracting the old afflicting parts from the rig:
    [​IMG]

And from there.... the time stamps on the pics explain it all....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a pic of that pass. side tire coming OFF, not ON:
    [​IMG]
    Here's a pic of the vice grips holding the rear flex line shut after Bryan cut the drivers rear brake line with the grinder... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG]
    Like you need the time stamp... just look @ Bryan's face to tell the time! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    [​IMG]
    Both springs and their u-bolts back in place:
    [​IMG]
    This pic shows how ingenious you can be at 3:45 (pronounced three-fourty-FREAKING-five-A-M) Note the location of our drop light... We're getting ENTIRELY too slap happy at this point:
    [​IMG]
    Bryan welding in the new perches:
    [​IMG]
    Pic of my stupid arse BUSTING off the bleeder in the wheel cylinder after installing the new brake line:
    [​IMG]
    Past this point... Bryan actually left my house as the sun was rising. It was pretty kewl. Real exciting. I'm feeling alot like (as Bryan would say) hammered dog sh!t today. But life goes on.

Tomorrow, we start on my rig! YEAH! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Well, If he hadnt been standing around in Pic # 1, you could have been done by 3:47am! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The thing that completely blows my mind is you boys doing this shiznit all night in a quiet neighborhood. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

I also like the "lighted tailpipe" you have there Bryan. Great place to hang the light!

One more thing... Do the parts stores stay open till 2:30am? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

The thing that completely blows my mind is you boys doing this shiznit all night in a quiet neighborhood. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly. That alone takes some balls to do. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. KRAZIE87K5

Yup... blows my my mind too. One funny thing... we did this whole thing with very little use of the hammer... I didn't want to hit anything sometime after midnight... afriad of all the noise. Grinding, welding, CURSING, stereo blaring in the garage? Thats all ok. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Dan

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Wow, your neighbors must love you. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Hey, at least this long night didn't involve dented sheetmetal. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. KRAZIE87K5

Oh TRUST ME... we specifically instructed my wife not to park anywhere near by... and my truck was at the top of the driveway! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

-Dan

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yes it was an interesting nite. And I was at work at 8:30, 3 hours late granted, but mine is a pretty flexible job. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I just love my wrenching!!!

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Wann know what you guys could have done to save all that time? Easy, read below: /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You guys should have just swapped the gears!!! I mean simply remove the pinion support carrier and pull the shafts out slighly and then remove the ring gear assembly.
    Then do the same to the existing rearend.
    Swap the other gears for the other and call it done.

Doing all that would have saved the time from swapping the rearend housings, let alone relocating the perches!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

You'd think that with a torch, it would be faster than that... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    That first pic has lots of daylight in it, and at 10:30 p.m. the back tires are still on /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Looks like I missed lots of fun, and there's NO WAY I could work that late EVER in my neighborhood. Much less break out the grinder...

BIGJ

10. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Wann know what you guys could have done to save all that time? Easy, read below: /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You guys should have just swapped the gears!!! I mean simply remove the pinion support carrier and pull the shafts out slighly and then remove the ring gear assembly.

Doing all that would have saved the time from swapping the rearend housings, let alone relocating the perches!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think they swapped rear ends, just put new springs and new perches on the existing rear end /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think they swapped rear ends, just put new springs and new perches on the existing rear end /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that would make better sense. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

You guys kill me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I would have paid to sit and watch. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The COOL way to remove u-bolts from your rig in Northern states:

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought that was the ONLY way to remove u-bolts in that part of the world. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Oh yeah, you guys need to start planning these projects to start on Saturday mornings... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Like you need the time stamp... just look @ Bryan's face to tell the time! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great pic, reminds me of a deer in a cars head lights!

15. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

This is like the time I told my neighbor it would only take us 4 hours to do an engine swap and we'd be in and out of his garage in the same day! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

One must always remember in the land of wrenching, things take at least 3 times longer than you predict they will!

17. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

just ask chevy4wd about late night working on his truck...i think we went about 3 nights straight until after midnight..

18. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

The funny thing is there last post was at 4:13pm. i wounder if there out working on Dan's truck?? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hard core wrenchin!! the latest ive ever been out working was till about 2..and i was beat..i cant imagine 5 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

me and my buddy shawn were up all night from friday 10 00pm till 7 pm saturday the next day we started out fixing his tranny for the Nopi Drag Race's but didnt get it all done so we took my truck raced then went to a hotel and passed out till sunday... But it was fun stuff and there were a lot of hot girls there but he had his GF go with us so he missed out on the wet tees and swim suit shows...it was also hardcore /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif [​IMG]