Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What octane and brand gas does everyone?? run

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Jun 22, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Just got gas at Chevron and was curious as to what brand all of you use and what octane you put in and what type motor you are supplying the gas for (stock, 350, etc.). Has anyone noticed better mileage with higher octane and in your opinion is it worth it to pay more and get better mileage? Just wondering what your take is on this.

2. maxq15

maxq15 Registered Member

I have an "87 Jimmy with 190k miles and a stock 350. I typically purchase premium fuel (93 octane) wherever I buy. My habit is to buy gas of the same "brand" (Amoco, Citgo, etc) for about 5000 miles then switch. This gives the detergents and additives in that brand a chance to remove deposits and run clean. Then after 5000 miles, I switch brands. As for mileage, I learned quite a while ago, after I developed my love for full-sized trucks and SUV's, to never pay much attention to gas mileage.......it takes some of the fun out of driving.

Those who think money can't buy happiness don't know where to shop.

3. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I usually get my gas from the local Gulf station. I get the mid grade, cuz I don't want a low octane with my chip. It's usually 89 or higher level. When I used to run premium before the crazy rise in gas prices, I noticed significant power gains. I didn't notice much difference in mileage now. Though the prices are dropping, it seems like I pay as much as I did to fill the tank when I used premium, considering the prices are very suimilar now. So, I'd guess there's a small increase in mileage

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://billybob87k5.50megs.com>Homepage of Porky & Stinky</A>
    Billybob, the REAL <font color=red>Bionic Redneck</font color=red>

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

I only run 93 but then again i run a 350 with 10:1 copression flat top pistons,RV cam so I have to. It sounds like a diesel if i run anything lower than 93. As for milage I'm lucky if I get 9 MPG.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I use a bottle or two of octane booster with every empty-fill up, and the cheap stuff, usually 87. I usually get it at a local Citgo, but when she's too thirsty, I take anything.
    I don't think I've never noticed a difference running different octanes, except when running super-cheap stuff, she'll ping like a 21-gun salute.

350 TBI

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by newyorkin on 06/22/01 08:04 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run 93 because of compression and cam timing, but you want to be careful and not burn too high of an octane for your motor. The higher the octane, the higher the flashpoint, and therefor the higher the temp needed to ignite it. In a stock motor that was not designed with high compression, overly advanced timing, etc. you may actually loose mileage and cause carbon buildup due to the fact that the fueld does not combust completely. As long as your motor does not "ping" under load when properly tuned (poor ignition and/or fuel delivery can also cause similar problems) and does not show signs of "dieseling" when shut off, you should be fine running 87-89. Also most premium fuels run extra detergents, if your motor does not combust all the fuel properly, the detergents also get left behind with the carbon and can cause more trouble. Whatever you run, buy your gas from a station that does alot of business (less chance of getting gas with sediments or condesation accumulation such as at a Mom&Pop's station). Nomatter where you get your gas, putting a SMALL bottle of carb/fuel injection cleaner once or twice a year is not a bad idea (no need to overdue it especially with todays more effecient engines).

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

No matter which of my vehicles I am driving i always try and buy Sunoco fuels. In the Jimmy I run regular or plus.... Mostly regular, butif i am at an off brand station, I will run Plus.
    In the Probe I run 93 or 94... It has around 10.2:1 comp, and I do notice a mpg difference between the Sunoco fuel and cheaper brands. Sunoco always outperforms.

<font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I run 93 exxon in the Jimmy b/c of the ZZ4. I run 87 in all my other vehicles except for the Impala which I run 89.
    In the Sand race truck I run 76racing 114 superstock or 116 Sunoco. ( 5.85/gal)

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy P/U 4x4 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD w/8.1L & Allison Auto

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I go to the Mobil station here in town. The rest of the stations look questionable as to whether they have bad gas or not. I get mid grade (89?). It seems to burn cleaner and give a little more power. I'd just rather have a cleaner gas going thru my truck.

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

10. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

87 here, prob. &lt; 87 when in Mexico. Not really any difference besides mileage....

11. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I never understood all the folks that run premium gas with stock motors. Except for the stock cars that require premium. The only reason I think you should run higher octane is if you have a higher compression ratio in your engine. So if you have a stock engine, save some money and run 87.
    Since I put Vortec heads on my 350 and the compression went up a little bit I've been running 89 octane gas. If I run 87 in the summer time I can hear it pinging a little bit, but it runs fine with 89.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

12. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Minimum 92, it prefers 93+. Running higher compression (10:1) and Comp Xtreme Cam (226/234 duration). Anything less than 92 knocks really bad and power drops off. Mileage is around 13 mpg on highway (700R4/NP205 with 4:10 gears and 33"x10.50 BFG AT tires). With the 33"x12.50 BFG MT's on, it drop to about 10 mpg. Yes, I swap out tires from daily drivers to the MT's when I go play.

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Chevron. Supra runs best on the 93. It HATES 87. Loses at least 1 mile per gallon and runs like crap and the knock sensor keeps backing out of the timming. the 75 K5 will not run on 87 does Pings like all hell. It's OK on 89 but at 10mpg it isn't getting 93.
    Just drove the wifes 79. She was dumping 87 in it and it's running like crap! Typical deal Me "how long has it been running bad?" Her " couple weeks" Why didn't you tell me?" Her "Forgot" Me what gas you putting in it" Her The cheapest"
    So I guess I'm doing a tune up this weekend LOL

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

14. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

87 octane. NO probs. In both my 75' and 89'. I alwasy use a bottle of carb/fuel Injector cleaner from STP in everyother or other other, fill up. I'm a cheapy, so no higher octane. Oh, and stock motor too for both. Well, the 75' is mildly modified 350.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

15. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I run 87 octane in my stock '89, and it runs just fine with that. I buy all my gas at a local independant to support them and their low prices plus it saves me 10 to 15 cents per gallon. It's still high here in Northern Cali...I paid $1.80/gal yesterday.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

16. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I typically run 92 octane from Terrible Herbst or Conoco in my 350. If I get anything other than the 92, it gets 7 mpg and won't idle right.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

17. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i run arco or chevron and i need to run 89 oct but my blazer would like me to run 92 or 93 but my wallet wont let me if i run the 87 it pings to damn bad and i have tried to adjust the timing to stop the pinging but it wont adjust out so i haved to run the 89[​IMG] i am running a stock 350 with a edelbrock intake and a edelbrock 600 cfm carb although the pinging thing only started about 6 month's ago hhhhhmmmmmm bad gas and higher prices[​IMG]

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>

18. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I buy the cheap stuff... it's now down to about $1.75 a gallon. The high grade is $1.95... these are in not prime locations either... you go to a busy interestions and you pay more. I refuse to pay up the rear for gas so I get the cheap stuff..... runs fine to me. Never knocks or pings... does just fine! I sometimes run something through a tank to clean out the system but that's it.....

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Cheapest gas at the cheapest place I can find it...usually Race Trac or QT. I have a pretty stock 350, it does have a chip and i used to run 93, but switched to 87 when it got expensive and haven't noticed a difference.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

20. Colorunner

Colorunner Newbie

I run premium with my 454. I find that there are "gas jewels" around town that have great prices and high octane gas. I get 93.5 octane here in denver(cheaper than 91 at any other station) where it's near impossible to find anything other than 91 or full blown racing fuel. You just have to know where to look!! The higher octane helps huge on my 4runner too compared to lower grades especially in this altitude. One other note. Never fuel up at a station where there's a tanker filling at the same time unless you can't avoid it. When they fill, they disturb the deposits on the bottom of the tanks and if you're using what their filling, you'll get that junk in your tank too.