Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What OEM panels are around

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to round up new metal for the Blazer and I'm not sure what I can get thats OEM. I know they have doors and hoods but I need the odd stuff. I know that the patch for above the wheel housing is after market obviously but I'm not sure about the others. I need a new bed for the back, complete tailpan, and the '81 style side trim. I'll probably have to go LMC for most of the stuff but I'm not too worried because I've got above every tool known to man at my disposle. Its getting hard to find OEM parts anymore, hardly any weatherstripping, tailgate motors, etc.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I was under the impression that OEM's HAD to supply parts for the vehicles until 10 years after their production date. Since '91 was the last year of the K5, this is the year that they will/should stop producing parts for it. Read: parts are going to get very expensive. The tailgate and doors I KNOW are still available. Get the part #'s (either a dealer or gm parts book for this vintage) and then use www.gmpartsdirect.com shipping will kill you on large stuff (frieght) UNLESS you buy a bunch of things at once. Tailgate shell is only 230 or so at gmpartsdirect. I personally think if you get the right numbers, everything should still be made that was on the '91's. gmpartsdirect will not have all the numbers on their webpage, but they do have a fair amount.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

3. Blazer_Boy

Thanks Man! I called the dealer today and about dropped a load in my pants. They still make the bed! It lists at about $600 but it has everything. The crossmembers and the tailpan even. This will make my work alot easier and faster. I feel alot more comfortable with GM than LMC.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

For that kind of price (and typically all of GM's prices) go find a whole tub that is in good shape!!! I paid $400 for a perfectly straight tub from the wrecking yard, and they even left some good spare parts attached! For the work I was going to have to do (rockers, inner quarters, bed) the time I would have had to spend welding in new sections was much more than just swapping over the whole tub....then again, I ended up building an entirely new truck instead of just fixing the rusty one!

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

5. Blazer_Boy

Well it lists at $600 but the guy I know at the part shop would let it slide at the wholesale $410. The tub on the truck outside of the bed is in premo shape. Its really hard to find a decent tub around the plains because every road is salted to death in the winter. This is more fun too, I like making the old Blaze nice again. I want to keep as much as I started with when I got it. The guy I bought it from was an older man who had a stroke and it was his hunting truck. He couldn't go hunting anymore so he had to part with it. It was kinda sad because he had to sell his motorcycle too. His kids managed to destroy the suspension on it on one of there trips so I thought it would be nice to see him some time with it back in working order. I've gotten the suspension redone and even new tires already.