Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What off road lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Looks like I need new off road lights. The ones I bought at a yard sale are junk. What do you recomened ???? I like the round ones.

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

depends on how much you want to spend hella, piaa=$$$$; kc, explorer procomp=$$, walmart=$, there was an idea in this months homegrown howto's of 4wheel and offroad or you can find them on ebay, what brand are you partial to?

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm not really partial to any name brand. Just want a good quality off road lights that won't cost an arm and a leg.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Might look at Hella rally 500 series then. you can find a set for around $80 most anywhere. They have both round and Square in that size. They are more of a driving light. They put out a wide flat beam.
    My next set will be some Eurobeam Rally. Haven't decided on the model yet. I expect to pay about $100 EACH but these are impressive lights that would put most headlights High beams to shame.
    I run a set of Hella Headlights on my Supra. WOW what a great set of headlights. While not as much of a long throw beam as the Eurobeam stand alones, not far off either. They put out some masive light on High Beam. Looking about $45 each for headlights but well worth it. You won't be disappointed. The thing about upgrading the headlights is you will get more use out of them .
    http://www.hellausa.com/

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

Maybee I dont know what I'm looking for, but I had 4 lights accross the top of my Blazer...2 were KC daylighters and 2 were walmart specials (19 a piece). The only difference I could ever find in the two types were the daylighters would tend to start to surface rust quicker. When I re-install new ones, Im going to Wal-mart!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have KC daylighters, bright as heck but they're pencil beams. basically just like spot lights.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you are looking for a fog light type lens the Hella 500 is a great light for the the money. It also comes in a driving lens if that is what you are looking for. i like the fog light lens off road because around here it is slow going and w/ a group of trucks. I don't need to burn out my friends & spotters retna. If you are doing the high speed boogie your needs will be different. Mine are mounted on the bumper and I use them on the street in bad weather, they make a huge difference.
    I thought about Grims idea of swapping headlights, but I've broken 2 sealed beams so I am a little leary. I broke the first one w/o a brush guard & the second one w/ one so I don't know which way is better.

8. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i bought walmart brand lights, acctually i bought them at a k-mart close out for 10$ a peice, i bought the last 2 they had in the store /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. i put them on damn they are bringht, they were worth it, 10$ for 100 watt lights that look like kc daylighters, i like them /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. they are 16.95$\peice at walmart, with a cover and lead wires. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. 88k5blaza

88k5blaza Registered Member

i just bought a set of 55 watt pilots from my local auto zone from my blazer and it came with a complete wire harness and i paid 20 bucks for them im very pleased with the light they put out and thought that they had a very reasonable price to go along with it! so you should check out the pilot line also i know lots of kids with them and they love them! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

on my truck i have a set of Federal Mogul Blazers. They are nice (55watt) they have a yellow tint to them and man do they cut through fog! And they are about as bright as my highbeams, well worht the $80 i payed.

11. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i have 4 procomp 8" 130 watts. they are a pretty good spot/flood light. they give me farly good close up flood-age and really good distance. i think im going to get rid of 2 of them though and replace them with walmart floods. because 4 really dosnt work all that much better than 2 and they draw so much power that they are quite a bit dimmer with all 4 lit up.

12. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

would there be a problem putting a 100 watt bulb in 55 watt fixture ? ?