Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What other sources of GM vehicle have 12 bolt rears? Please list

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Mar 26, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I'm figuring out now that my rearend seems to be making a horrible clinking noise just like the post a few down from here. I thing the stock carrier is about to go- so I'm going to make a break for a whole new setup rather than just replace the stock 10 bolts.

I'm looking for a source on what other types of GM vehicles had used the enviable 12 bolt axles-- so when we go aking around for them, we're not just limited to the K series and the C series truck line. Was the Caddy in that line up as well? Any other car brand/model have 12 bolts? I wan't the lowest abused rear end--you know. Any suggestions, comments, insults, please reply.

I'll be popping the diff cover and doing the inspection on the carrier until I get some reply time innn this search.

Thank you all....
    -Dv8

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>12bolts came in cars and trucks, but the ones in the trucks are a little stronger than the car ones. the 12 bolt is not that much stronger than a 12 bolt, so you might want to consider a 14 bolt sf, since you want to replace the whole unit anyway. If you want a 12 bolt, look for one from a 4 whel drive chevy/gmc truck from 69 to 81 or so.</font color=blue>

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Try to find one out of a Chevy/GMC van, they are also 4" longer that the ones out of a K5. (K5 axles are 3" shorter than the front axles) You will have to move the spring perches though, you could make your own http://www.off-road.com/chevy/tech/perch/

Steve

4. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Thanks For the info... I was thinking this was probably going to be the dumbest question I've ever concocted for the board, but what the hey?

So... If the GM Chevy van axles are 3 inches longer, what kind problems would I have throwing the 33" tires back on and driving on the roads? Ther'd be 3" of extra tread jutting out from the fender wells right? I like thhe idea though, I'm going to give it a shot--first have to find some decent low buck vans-- This sounds awesome.. yeah, I'm gonna do it!

Thanks!

-Dv8

5. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Actually car 12 bolts are stronger than truck 12 bolts. They use a larger pinion than Truck 12 bolts. They are the same size a Dana 60 pinions.

Donovan