Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What other states make you pay for tonnage?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, May 5, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

For a while there, Washington had a nice flat fee for vehicle licensing. Now we're back to the tonnage system. My tabs for the motorhome cost $33.75. I paid an additional $75 for vehicle weight... combined with a $3 filing and $4 subagent fee came to a total of $115.75.

Thats right; $115.75 to have the legal right to operate a vehicle that gets 5mpg at nearly $3/gallon... meaning I have to just about be rich to license AND drive it anywhere.

The Crew Cab wasn't as bad. It was like $90 to license and gets 7mpg. And unless I sell Brutus soon I'll have a 2nd Crew Cab to license this June. :crazy:

I guess now I'm seeing the appeal of fuel economy and small tonnage-less transportation.

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I dont know the details of it but here in Texas, my jeep's registration is around $60, my 3/4 ton burban is around $70 and my 1 ton crewcab is around $90.

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

here in IL 8500 lb GAWR is the line

above that the plating is different,

is a 6 month deal instead of 12 month, and costs more and have to have truck inspected once a year too

registration 8500 and under is 65 bucks, no matter the vehicle

plates 78 for 8500 and under (B-truck class)

state transportation tax 25

4. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Yeah come to cali and pay to register a truck out here. My 1970 1/2 ton 2wd is going to cost me $130 to register this june. The weight fee was a huge chunk of that.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am just waiting for the politicians to start pulling the same crap out here in Nevada. Right now Nevada does not charge an extra fee to vehicles with a high GVRW.

1991 V3500 Crew Cab Nevada registration: $46 + $20 for smog cert

1985 K30 Dually Nevada registartion: $31 + $20 for smog cert

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't know the rules of Utah but when I went to register a vehicle up there once years ago I watched this lady right a check for something like 600 dollars to register her Astrovan.

Don't know the story behind it but I was really rather shocked.

7. Mikey von

Mikey von 1/2 ton status

I am guessing that it is not weight that they are charging you extra for, it is a commercial plates that are required for open bed pickups. I am in cali too and my 89 3/4 ton 4x4 burb has no weight fee. $40 registration fee, $29 license fee, $6 county/district fee. For a total of $75. I am pretty sure you have to be above a large weight to get the weight fee in cali.

I have been known to be extremely wrong also.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey, at least they haven't gone back to the "% of value" system they used to have here in WA! Now that chit sucked. Bad enough we have to pay sales tax when we buy a car...

j

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

California charges a weight fee for any commercial vehicle, the heavier it is the larger the fee but typically anything over 8500 GVWR is where it starts to get expensive. Blazers are not registered as a truck so there are no weight fees for a blazer. Also if you have a truck that doesn't have a weight fee on it you better not be caught with ANYTHING in the bed or you're looking at a hefty ticket.