Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What paint for top

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Jan 14, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Hopefully tonight I am going to get the cracks in my top fixed and ready to paint this weekend. What is the best kind of paint to use for this? It is currently a white top but I am thinking about changing it to black. Anybody seen a thread or article about refinishing a top?

2. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

i painted mine with stuff called "bbq black". turned
    out nice, plus its a satin finish and hasnt yet faded
    nor oxidize since i sprayed it over a year ago. i also do the fenderwells and underneath with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. evilk5

evilk5 Registered Member

just did the same on "evil",I used Herculiner, its a pain but looks good and its pretty durable. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Seems like I read once that you use a paint specifically for fiberglass and then there is a "texture material" that you add to give it the rough surface.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

zolatone is the type of paint that is rough to the touch. It is very strong paint, good for fiberglass, and looks good. I am going to paint my truck PPG black cherry and black zolatone the top inside and out.

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

THAT'S the kind of info I've been waiting for someone to say outloud! I've seen this discussion a few times but no one has ever been that specific, THANK YOU! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I think glossy paint on a sanded down smooth top looks funny to me. I like the stock look. I think my truck would look much better with all the sheet metal glossy metallic black cherry with a flat or semi gloss black zolatone, like they are factory, than both the top and sheet metal all black cherry. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I used the cheapest rattle cans I could get($0.60 at Lowes) and went to town on it about 6 months ago. Still looks good... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif