Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What paint for wheels?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Mar 3, 2005.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I am painting my wheels black, had thought about using the spray bedliner. Any thoughts on this? I just want it to look OK and last a good while. Looked into powdercoating but it seemed a little pricey ($40/wheel +$25 ea. if sandblasting needed)

Also, will the factory tire mount hold a 33" OK? It seems a little flimsy and I would hate to swing it out and have it fall off and take a bunch of sheet metal with it.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ehhh, prolly not a good idea.

if its going to be used in offroad situations, and therefore may be damaged, I'd paint them myself with a decent epoxy-based rattle-can paint. If its on-road-only and you want bling, coughing up the $ for powdercoating would probably be best. Only real downside of powercoating (other than the co$t) is that it can't be touched up by the end-user.

you mean the interior spare tire holder thing? pretty sure a 33 will work there... if you mean an exterior swing-away carrier, I dunno. I wouldn't push it with those, they tend to damage the body where they attach when bigger-than-stock tires are mounted on them especially if there is any rust in the area.

j

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

uhh glossy black from a spray can :)

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Rustoleum Hammered is pretty sweet.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

OK, so bedliner not a good idea (just thought it would match body panels well)

as far as the bling thing, I just want it to look decent, it does have a 33 year old paint job after all. Mainly a little bit of around town driving, weekends, Fridays to work (I have to play dress-up every other day:grin: ) and primarily for camping, hunting, fishing and moderate wheeling.

And yes I do mean the exterior mount, I guess I might remove that one and keep the spare in the bed then until I can get a good bumper/mount setup like 4x4iron or similar.

The Rustoleum Hammered sounds like a good option, it will give it somewhat of a textured look but still not be such a bitch to touch up or remove altogether.

Thanks for the input guys.

6. JSH

JSH Registered Member

I second the Rustoleum Hammered. I did some stock steelies in the silver/light gray and it looks really good-just enough texture to hide imperfections.

7. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Ace hardware rust-stopper spray paint. Cheap, and mine has been doing its job for about 9 months now and i havent had to touch it up or repaint. I didnt even clean the rust off of the rims before i painted them.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Tractor paint.

9. 7blazer5

7blazer5 Registered Member

I've painted many wheels before and I always used hi-temp paint like the kind they use on engines and some places even sell paint especialy for rims

10. big_black_blazer

big_black_blazer 1/2 ton status

clean them with brake kleen, then paint them with brite touch spray paint from advance auto. it stuck better on my steelies than anything else. then top them off with 88 cent clear spray from wal-mart.