Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what part of tranny is this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by angelglo, Oct 2, 2000.

1. angelglo

angelglo 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know what parts for the tranny these are?
    [​IMG]
    i was taking apart one of my trannys (th350)and found these in the bottom of the pan. i have done just about all automotive work except work on automatic trannys. the tranny was still running when i pulled it out but found lots of finely shaved metal on bottom ot the pan along with these parts. someone please help. i know im going to have to rebuild it, its just that to what degree of carnage the tranny has suffered is what im concerned with. thanks.

angel

2. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Was all of that in there (all 3 pieces)? It is real hard to see, it looks like some kind of rod, a big black thing and some white thing. Can you describe them, what they look like, what they are made out of? The finely shaved metal is normal, but not all of that. - Steve :)</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

angelglo,
    I believe that rod to be part of the parking mechanism. Did the transmission hold the vehicle in place in "Park" before you took it apart? The rod should run from the gear selector mechanism back to the a mechanism in the rear of the transmission that engages with the teeth on the output shaft. The small metal piece is probably also part of the same mechanism. I could be wrong, though. It did happen one other time.... :) The other piece looks like rubber: maybe you need to post better pictures or definitions.

If you have complete GM service manuals, they should help. If not, you should be able to get a Haynes GM transmission book at your local car parts store and it shows pictures and locations of all transmission components. I think that they cost $12-$15.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

4. angelglo

angelglo 1/2 ton status

yeah. the rod and the triangular shaped thing i think belong together. there is a hole on the twisted side of the triangular thing. the other piece is cylindrical. its also hollow and about 1" in diameter. thanks for all your help.

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Is it possible that this is your kick down? Was your kickdown cable connected or diconnected, just a thought. I really cant tell by the pics

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

The rod is the detent actuator rod and the triangular piece is the detent valve lever (works your kickdown). The other part looks like the bottom of the dipstick/filler tube.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I know that in my 700R-4, the dipstick/filler tube is all one piece from the the top where the dipstick handle is to the bottom where it ends in the oil pan. If it is two seperate pieces in a 350, then that is most likely what the cylinder is, at 1" diameter.

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

TH350 is all one piece too. Looks like the tube is broken off and that's the bottom of it. I looked all over the tranny and that was the closest thing that the part looks like.

9. angelglo

angelglo 1/2 ton status

thanks guys. i think you guys hit it. when i pulled out the motor a while ago, i remembered that i forgot to take off the bolt to the kickdown cable. i yanked the cable clean off. i gotta check if thats the tube for the dip stick but it make sense.

angel

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

What did the pieces ended up being? Just curious.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]