Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What parts help DW the best?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, May 4, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I just ordered Borgeson steering shaft, AGR box and pump, Pro Comp pitman arm and drag link, and the bolt-in box brace from ORD. I want to do this right the first time, aside from going to crossover steering, what is the best you can do to correct bumpsteer? I thought that it was my tires causing the DW, 38.5x16x16.5 TSL Swampers, but me and a friend swapped tires and now I've got 32" BFGoodrich mud terrains, and it still wobbles like crazy. You think any of the items I ordered will help?

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Have you checked your toe-in?

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If you've replaced all that stuf and still have a wobble, I wonder about your ball joints.
    FWIW, my truck had some nasty habits. I installed the ORD steering box brace and it improved dramatically. I have since replaced tie rod and drag link with new ones and it is tighter still. But the ORD brace did 90% of it.
    -- Mike

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You think any of the items I ordered will help?

<hr></blockquote>
    If you haven't installed any of those items yet, YES all those things will help cure DW. Have you replaced the stabilizer yet? Thats probably one of the most important things to do...

If you have 38's, I'm also guessing you have a lift and bigger axles... if so, have you replaced the balljoints if its a 44?

I noticed that the POSITIONING of the stabilizer made a HUGE difference. I have the trailmaster coil over stab. PN 57201. When I rotate it down (under) the tierod, the DW is undriveable. I moved it upwards (over) the tierod, and the DW virtually dissappeared. Movement left to right also had a huge impact...

Read this for more info:
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=365499&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1

Just my .02

-Dan

5. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

I second the checking the toe. Also have you changed your caster? Like adding shims to correct your pinion angle? Looks like too much or too little caster can effect shimmy.

6. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

Send the AGR back and get hydro assist. that will guarentee that you wont have DW

7. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

I think I'm gonna go ahead and get ball joints too. I'm gonna order from LMC unless someone knows of a place that sells better ball joints or has the same ones at a better price? I got a new Rancho stabilizer as well so I hope I can make it a little bit better on the street. Should I get a Rock Rod tie rod while I'm at it? Or does the beefiness of a Rock Rod increase DW?