Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What parts should I order?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Summer95, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Summer95

Summer95 Registered Member

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

OK, here's some background. A few months ago I had my tailgate glass in my '83 Blazer replaced. The previous glass was badly cracked and basically the privacy film was the only thing holding it together. The motor to open and close the glass was a little slow, but it worked. The guy who changed my glass told me that my motor was bad and that now that there was more tension with the good glass, it wouldn't work. He was right, it doesn't. He also told me that I had no felt at all and my glass was rubbing directly against the metal.

Well, I finally have the money to buy the parts to get it fixed, but I'm sitting here looking at the LMC catalog, and to be honest, I'm not sure exactly what parts I should get. Do I just need the regulator? or do I need the regulator transmission as well? Is the glass channel w/seal what I need to fix my felt problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You should definately replace the channels if the felt is gone. It is important to keep the window running in proper alignment to help it last and not scratch. Also take a look at the seals at the top of the tailgate that touch the window. If they are worn, the metal clips will start to scratch the glass. Plus, that will let crud get into the tailgate and make it stick and rust.

Other than that, replace whatever is badly rusted or broken. You should check the voltage at the motor when it should be running to see if it is the motor that is bad or the wiring/connections. Sometimes the safety switch on the driver's side latch gets dirty enough that the window won't work anymore. Same story for the key switch. Sometimes replacing the motor is optional, based on how slow you can live with vs. the price. The motor isn't cheap. Make sure that your tracks are clean and greased. It might also help to lube the drive cable with some lithium grease.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, if it's rubbing steel, fix that.

*Most* problems with that mechanism are caused by age, and just general lack of lubrication. of course, the window rubbing on the channels won't help, but you REALLY need to pop the insepction cover off of the tailgate, and SEE whats going on. Its not tough, and while you are in there, lube the teeth on the regulator assembly with some type of fairly thick grease, (I use lubri-plate) lube the cable, and lube the tracks that the rollers ride in. Anything you find that is damaged, fix it.

Of course if you are buying parts, you want to order all of them at the same time, but if the window is rubbing, and the tracks/regulator/cable are not operating smoothly, the motor can certainly be slowed down and even stopped, even if it is actually in good shape.

4. Summer95

Summer95 Registered Member

OK, so if I order the "Glass channel w/seal" from LMC, will it include the felt?

Thanks to both of you for your h3lp!

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The channels come with new felt in them. I have never seen replacement felt any other way. That's usually why you replace the channels anyway.

I don't know what's included in that kit. You should contact LMC.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The window guides are still available at the dealer and once you figure in shipping it's about the same price as LMC. Usualy can get it to the dealer in 48hours.