Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Parts will Interchange between 10bolt and Dana 44?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big10, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

Heres whats up..I currently have a Dana 44 installed. the brakes are good, calipers, backing plates, etc... And I have a 10bolt that has the gears in it that I want to run (4.10) but this 10bolt needs bearings, seals, etc..so...

What all can I swap out?

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

only from the knuckles out can be interchanged. carriers don't. i don't know about gears though.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Besides a few brake parts, you can interchange the axle Ujoints, stub shafts, and gear oil.

4. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

does anyone know about gears? If they would, then I wouldnt have to pull my 44 out...sh$t that would be easy. I'm thinking that they dont though. What about axle shafts? backing plates?

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Gears=no, inner shafts=no, stub shafts=yes, backing plates=I don't remember 100% but I *think* if its a second design D44 it will fit a 10B.

6. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

I've got the inner shafts/uvj's/stubs out. The UV's feel tight but, I guess i should go ahead and replace them while I have everything apart? Do these universal joints press out like driveshaft joints or am I going to need a torch?

7. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

well I know for sure that everything from the spindles/backing plates out will interchange. I made my 10bolt 8 lug this weekend by puting on everything from spindles out from an old 3/4 ton frontend. I would have put the whoel thing in but I didn't have gears. sucks but hey......atleast I'll get some funny looks and get to explain exactly why and how I have pre-77 external locking outers on a 10bolt /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

-Scott

8. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

gear oil /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The u-joint press works great on them, no need for a torch. A big impact will help to drive the press, but a breaker bar will work. If it doesn't move tap the ears w/ a hammer while using the press. Also, make sure the cap will pass through the hole. They have the inside snap rings. They might be buried in goo, but make sure you take them off before you try to press the joint out or you will snap an ear. Harbor Freight has the press on sale right now for about $30. Spicer u-joint P/N 5-297x, or the new P/N 5-760. Neapco also calls it a 297 or a 297BF for their Brute Force brand.

10. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    gear oil

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif