Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what parts would you use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tunedportk5, Mar 5, 2006.

1. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

2. tunedportk5

so far this is where I'm at

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  3. tunedportk5

I'm still undecided if I should get new pistons and may be rods or just clean these up and get them checked out to see if there ok to save money:doah:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2006
  4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it were I, I'd get new pistons and rods. For 350's at least pistons are cheap (as long as you aren't talking forged) and newer rods are better/stronger pieces to. For a motor that will see high RPM use, I'd definitely want the "insurance" of better parts.

As to the heads, I'd go with something that flows well. Maybe not too outrageous, but since the power in those motors is all up top, you don't want something that flows good at low end and poor up top.

My take anyways...I had dreams of building up a 302 once. :) Great novelty motor, but in my case I just decided the better overall performance of the 350 was the way to go. Be interesting to see how you like it once its all together.

5. tunedportk5

I have a nasty little 350 in it now with all the goodie, now I want to play with a 302 and 5 or 6 speed:D

6. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

Here is the parts combo I was thinking of using when I wanted to build a 302.

Rods, 5.95" from gen II 4.3 baby lt1
    with those rods you should able to use any of the 350 5.7 pistons you want, I wanted to run 10 to 1
    Good set of file fit rings and good quality bearings.
    For the heads I woud use a set of late model vortec heads, with valve guides cut down for higher lift cam, and do a little clean up in the pockets.
    The cam is xs274s http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=12-677-4
    I would run the performer rpm( or air gap)

And a set of 1 5/8" headers.I think this would run well with 4.10 gears and a 5 speed.