Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What piston rings should I use?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Jul 3, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

Just pulled out my engine this past weekend and now I'm down to the bare block. Only thing in there is the crank, rods, and pistons right now. I'll be changing out my piston rings but I don't know what to get. I'd like to go a little above stock but not spend $150 for a set of rings. What is a good brand for 4.000" bore pistons? (I'm not boring out the cylinders) Keep in mind it almost never goes offroad and I don't drive it hard.

-By the way, what is a piston ring filer for? And will I need one to re-install my pistons?

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well the ring filer is for file-fit rings...These rings come from the factory with a tight ring gap...you use the filer to to get the gap to where it should be for your engine/piston combo...

As far as rings...I would just go with pre-gapped rings (so you don't need a filer...Just check the ring gap in each piston...I used Speed-Pro Plasma Moly rings in my 454 and they were pre-gapped but were dead nutz on the ring gaps...

I would go with Sealed Power, Speed Pro, Childs & Albert or Total Seal rings...

Just get the cast top ring and save some cash...I had a little extra so I went with the plasma moly...

Chris

3. fortcollinsram

Just an after thought...you will need a ring compressor to re-install the pistons...I prefer the tapered ones that are machined out of aluminum and are only good for one size...It is a hell of a lot easier to use than the plier-type....

Oh, are you going to machine the block? Why are you tearing it down? I would HIGHLY recommmend at least boring it, new pisonts and rings and bearings... You can get a set of pistons and ring for less than $200...Otherwise you may be kicking youself later when it starts smoking b/c of crazy amounts of blowby...

Chris
    Chris

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I gave up using moly rings. Never noticed enough difference to justify the problems I have had with them. Just get good ol stock cast rings. They seat instantly, arent too caring about the final hone and will last another 100,000 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. fortcollinsram

I agree, regular Moly are a pain to get to seat... But "plasma" moly rings seat well and have tremendous oil retention capabilities....

6. BayouBlazer88

No, I'm not machining the block. As it is I'm in the red with all the stuff I've bought for the engine. Nor do I have the time. She doesn't smoke at all right now while she's running, so I'm just changing the rings and honing the cylinders and that's it. Next summer I plan to bore it out and get new pistons and rods, but for now new rings will have to do.

Now for the rings, do I buy standard bore rings or should a get the .005" oversize rings? I'm looking at two different sets: the Sealed Power chrome moly rings for $35.95 and the Sealed Power cast rings for $23.95 (Summit). And why are moly rings so much harder to install than cast rings? Are they worth all the aggravation?

7. BayouBlazer88

8. fortcollinsram

its not that the chromolly (aka, MOLLY) rings are harder to indall, it is just that they are really hard to get the rings to seat, and if the rings don't seat, you motor will smoke like a mutha forever.... Molly rings are SUPER hard and take a lot of heat and time to seat correctly...they are great and SUPER dusty environments (like Baja)...I don't think is worth the hassle....

9. fortcollinsram

Thiese are the ring compressors I like the best, but they are only good for one size ring...

[​IMG]

Chris

10. BayouBlazer88

Ok I just ordered the cast rings from Jeg's (the $23.95 rings). Will I need a piston ring filer for these?

Oh and I have another question: What exactly does a ridge reamer do? Does it grind down the ridge at the top of the piston or is there some sort of pressed in metal ring that it pulls out or what? Just curious. It says in the manual that I have to use one of these in order to take the pistons out correctly, is this true? Thanks for the advice.

11. fortcollinsram

A ridge reamer simply cuts the ridge off that develops over time in the top 1/4" to 1/2" of the cylinder...the piston rings wer the cylinder only where they touch the wall..they don't touch the top-most portion of the cylinder...If the ridge isn't too bad, you can do without it...but sometimes the ridge is soo bad that you can't get the pistons out unless you take the ridge out first..

Those rings should be pre-gapped...so no need for a filer...I would get a good fine machinist file to have on hand in case you need to widen the gap on a few....

Chris

12. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

anyone try the gapless rings yet. kinda spendy- 150 bucks i think. supposed to be the shiznit though.