Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what popup blocker do you use

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big83chevy4x4, Mar 29, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

and where did you get it?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine is built into Netscape 7.1. Just had to go in there and delete their web adresses as by default it does not block THEIR ads, but can be set up to block em too. I use this browser, run Adaware every few days, and have Norton anti-virus running auto protect. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I just keep my IE security settings on medium and run Ad aware at least weekly. Also My DSL has a firewall.Dont get many pop ups. Once in a while one gets thru but not too often.
    I used to use Popup Killer before I got DSL. It worked good. You can download version 2.0 for free.

5. big83chevy4x4

im running about the same setup as you. that usually stops intruders but not popups /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

fire fox

i dont even know what a popup is with this browser, 100% stopped

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

you can get one free from analogX.com, he designs alot of small compact, freebie software. The pop up blockers is called POW. you manually add stuff to the list so it only blocks the stuff you dont want.

8. big83chevy4x4

my dad has panicware popup stoper and it works preaty good. moost of hte ones ive tried blocks the stuff from summit (you click on something and brings up a new window) adn this you hold control on it bypasses it. i downloaded it and am going to try it for now.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I use the google toolbar... http://toolbar.google.com/
    It stops all pop-ups (my current count of blocked popups is 889) and it puts a google search bar on the top of your screen to boot. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I use that same pop up blocker too! It rocks! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Bill

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

"you manually add stuff to the list so it only blocks the stuff you dont want."

that sounds like a pain

12. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Google tool bar with the pop-up blocker built in it, it's awsome, works great, gives you alittle audio notification when something was blocked, no complaints here.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just something that you folks using the Google toolbar may not be aware of:

"Google's toolbar is spyware:
    With the advanced features enabled, Google's free toolbar for Explorer phones home with every page you surf, and yes, it reads your cookie too. Their privacy policy confesses this, but that's only because Alexa lost a class-action lawsuit when their toolbar did the same thing, and their privacy policy failed to explain this. Worse yet, Google's toolbar updates to new versions quietly, and without asking. This means that if you have the toolbar installed, Google essentially has complete access to your hard disk every time you connect to Google (which is many times a day). Most software vendors, and even Microsoft, ask if you'd like an updated version. But not Google. Any software that updates automatically presents a massive security risk. " From http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html

Netscape 7.1 has a built-in popup blocker that will allow a popup window if it is being called because you clicked on a link that calls it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif But it won't allow windows to pop up that you haven't requested. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Well if your running an excellent security program, i don't see any problems, my brother is in the up n up with all this computer stuff, schooling,networking, programming, he finds the awsome programs to keep certain information from leaving our computers, beyond me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the warning, <font color="orange">HarryH3 </font>. Since you quoted someone else, my response is directed at them, not you.

The guy you quoted is Daniel Brandt. He is a 50 something year old professional activist who put together a website and got pissed off when Google didn't rank his page high enough. The fact of the matter was that nobody was interested in what he had to say.

I've perused his "google-watch" site in the past and not only is it full of inaccurate information designed to scare people but he is also either lying about his discoveries or he is just stupid. My guess is that he is just a moron.

[ QUOTE ]
    With the advanced features enabled, Google's free toolbar for Explorer phones home with every page you surf, and yes, it reads your cookie too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well duh. One of the "advanced features" is a tool called PageRank. PageRank keeps track of how many people click to a site from Google. How else would this information get back to Goolge if the toolbar didn't "phone home"?

As for Google "reading your cookie", so what? Why is it a big deal if Google can read a cookie that it placed there?

[ QUOTE ]
    Google's toolbar updates to new versions quietly, and without asking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Googles toolbar is installed using an ActiveX control. When it is installed you will get a dialog box that asks you if you want to run the control. You CAN select the "always trust" box and it will never ask you again. If that is the case then Google Toolbar can automatically update itself. If you have your ActiveX settings set to "Prompt" (not the default setting yet but it will be when Microsoft releases SP2 for XP) your computer will prompt you every time an ActiveX control is run.

[ QUOTE ]
    This means that if you have the toolbar installed, Google essentially has complete access to your hard disk every time you connect to Google ... Any software that updates automatically presents a massive security risk. "

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Even an application that is installed from a CD on your local nmachine does not have complete access to your hard drive unless you grant it. I wonder what makes this idiot think that a IE plugin would have that much access. This is a perfect example of why pregnant women shouldn't smoke crack, you kids will turn out stupid like this guy.

I started using Google during Alpha testing when it was located on a secure subnet. It has changed quite a bit over the years (better and worse) but I think it is probably the most useful search engine out there.

I also use the Google toolbar with all of the advanced "features" turned off. It's not that I don't particularly trust Google, I just don't trust ANYBODY on the web.

I get a "Yes/No" message box whenever the Toolbar want to update itself and all popups get blocked unless I specifically allow them. If you want to allow pop-ups on a certain site you just need to click on the button to allways allow them or hold the ctrl key to allow them 1 time. It's very easy to use and it works well.

There are a bunch of popup blockers out there that probably work pretty good but be careful of the "advanced features" of any application, especially the FREE ones.

I haven't tried it but I would guess that if Netscape had a pop-up blocker built in it would work well too.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Tweetysuarus

I am acually trying out FireFox as we speak. So far it's good.
    Bill

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I use the Yahoo toolbar... It's quite convenient, since I can search for something without waiting for yahoo to load. And I can get to my email by pushing a button rather than typing mail.yahoo.com all the time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Firefox is so goddamn great, I order you to use it instead of IE !

19. Tweetysuarus

So far it's been less anoying the IE! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif And no pop ups! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Bill