Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what r drive flanges?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddyblzr, Dec 17, 2004.

1. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

this probably isnt the smartest question but im a newbie ive only been wheeling and working on 4x4's for alittle while and i had a question about hubs. i have a dana 60 with warn premuim hubs. do they seal up real good in mud and water? im asking because its going from my dd to my offroad truck and id like to try and get the majority of the bugs out now. and what r drive flanges ive heard of them but i dont know what they are. thanks alot for any input.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Drive flange goes in place of the manual hub; it's permanently locked. It'd be like leaving your Warns in the "locked" position, but it would seal better as it has no moving parts.

-- A

3. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ahh i c thanks alot kinda like an auto hub almost? i might get those cuz for an offroad truck i really wouldnt need to have manuel hubs. i guess only to unlock one in tight spots. i think i might wait until i need 35 splines.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, it's not like an auto hub. It's like having your manual hubs engaged all the time. It's a full time hunk of steel splining your axle shaft to the bearing hub.

It's MUCH stronger...and even more dependable than the manual hubs.

5. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

anyone know how much they cost for 35 spline or 30 spline?

6. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i see thanks alot for all the info. i dont know what i would do without all stuff i read in ck5 forum it really does help. im just a kid and alot of yall have been doin this for years and its great to get to hear from first hand experiences. alot of my friends that wheel are way older than me cuz kids my age think old trucks suck and break down and do terrible and aren't "cool" and all those kids are to scared to come with me. but i learn alot and its what i love to do

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

About $200/set for new ones. 30 spline ones come stock on some D60s and you might find a used set.

8. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

9. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

whoa sounds like a good deal and im sure ill be putting in 35 splines. im gonna run 39.5 tsl's with 5.13 gears and most likely a fuel injected 350. and where i wheel its alot of tight trails that r a mix of packed dirt, steep hill climbs, canyons, mud and some rock, sand and creek crossings.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wouldn't bother with the 35 splines if you don't break it. I wanted them forever....but I don't even think I'm going to bother now.

11. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

well i havnet gotten to test my dana 60 really im running 33 mud terrains so i dont think its under what u might call strain. im even sure what spline they r the axles came on my dd and im gonna put them in my offroad truck and put a dana 44 and 12 bolt or maybe a 14 bolt if i can find anotehr one into my dd.

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Chevy D60's came with 35 spline inner axles, and 30 spline stub axles.

Harley

13. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ya i knew that but when i bought my truck it came with the dana 60 with the warn premuim hubs on it and gears and a locker so im not sure if he went the full length and did 35 spline stub shafts i hope so i guess ill find out cuz im gonna repack the bearing in alil while just to check everyting and i really wana know. thanks again for everyones input

14. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I say wait on the 35 spline. See how it does. The 39's and 5.13's are a good time to get them though. I am more for the 30 spline chromo stubs cause the ears are much stronger than the OE 35 spline yet the gshaft is just as strong as an OE 35 spline.

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you take the hubs apart to repack the wheel bearings measure the diameter of the stubshaft or count the splines on the stub.

Harley

16. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

ya i wuz gonna count the splines. ya im not to hard on the throttle the truck im building rihgt now its gonna b street legal its just a trail truck so i dont care 2 much about body damage and such but im not gonna b real hard on the throttle. one of my freinds runs the same combo but its a k5 frame with an s10 on stop and he grenaded his hubs i think he said they blew off im not sure but hes one of those guys that if u cant get up it the first time hit it full thottle and dont let off until u get up roll or something breaks. which is a good mentallity if u have a good roll cage and strong parts.