Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Radiator do I need?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990SilveradoK5, Jun 20, 2001.

1. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

I call the parts store and they respond with twenty questions due to the different options.

What is the easiest way to figure what radiator I have so I can shop around and find the best deal.

They asked if it was a 17" core or 19" core, is this the height of the radiator? If so mine is 19".

What is the difference between 3 Row and 4 Row?

Etc. etc. etc.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

4 row is extra cooling. Once other catalog i checked listed the 4 core for the 454, so... i'm thinking it'd help a 350 run a bit cooler!

Check www.radiator.com I think they were $165 last i checked.. + shipping

3. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

For many of theolder chevy's the radiators came in two widths. The bracket on the left side of the truck could be moved to either of two pre-drilled positioins so you could use either size. Check yours to see if it is that way. 4 core radiators have 4 rows of tubes rather than 3. Some GM radiators had only 2 rows. I have a 4 core wide version on the 400sm and a 3 core narrow on the the 350. In the 1980's the heavy duty radiators were all metal, and the light duty had plastic tanks. I'm prejudice toward the metal headers, but my 350 is plastic and so far is holding up OK. I'll buy all metal if given a choice, but I don't really know if it is better.

4. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the all metal is better. Over time the ones with the plastic tank start to seep/leak at the seal when it gets cold due to the different expansion/contraction rates. The all metal expand and contract at the same rate.

90 GMC Jimmy, 350 TBI, 700R4, 32's
    84 Bronco II 204,000 miles and counting...........that's 206,000 and counting now

5. MUD_SPEC

MUD_SPEC Registered Member

I just picked up my 4-row from a radiator shop for $185 out the door, they can be more knowledgable about what can retrofit into your rig than Pep Girls or the Zone. I got the radiator for the same year 1 ton gas Suburban. I had to get new, longer hold-downs and top and bottom rubbers from GM for about $20.

6. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Here are the part number and Qty. I got these from Russ-> (1) 14018600 Panel Assembly and (4) 6264100 Pads.

He said they fit perfect

I am about to do the 4 row too. Good luck