Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What rear coils, not coilovers have people been using?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by yunit, Dec 9, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Might end up chopping the butt off of my truck this spring and want to link out the rear for clearance. I do not want to spend the big $$$ on King Coilover's, I would rather use coil's with shocks. Also, what length coil should I be looking for? I was thinking of maybe a 16" spring with probably a 150-200lb rate. The spring will be mounted inboard pretty much in line with the frame, so a 200lb spring might be the better choice.

Should I just forget about cutting my truck apart and build a buggy? Damn truck is still going to weigh over 5k even if I remove all the sheetmetal and cage the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Sorry for jumping from one subject to another. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the more work I'm doing the more like a buggy the K5 becomes, I'm sure one day I will step back and start all over taking all my stuff and making it into a buggy. But for now its a K5, I will be able to wheel whenever I decide to make a buggy.

3. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I have heard that people are using V8 grand cheroke coils out of the front for the rear of a K5. personaly I like the look of some sheetmetal on 4x4 so you can atleast tell what they used to be. I say just cut the back of your K5 off like you were talking about. just my .02 cents

4. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been kinda tossing around the same idea. It was suggested to me that some superlift 4 - 6" lift front coils off of a TJ would work also.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

one of you brave souls need to make the leap and try some factory coils off one of those rigs, then do a write up on it. In the near future I can prolly afford to either go 4 link OR get nice coilovers, but not both. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif a cheapy junkyard stock coils + shocks setup could make my 4-link + bed bob dream possible. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    bed bob dream possible

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    bed bob dream possible

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

j

8. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status