Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What rear diff(LSD/Locker) for a daily driver p/u? [POLL]

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have an 89 heavy half with a 6" lift and 35's. The truck has a very healthy 383 and has an open rear. The rear end is a 14SF with 4.10's... On wet pavement I have had it break loose easily and am concerned about the coming winter weather..

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1034804996Emmettology 101">

What rear diff would you choose?
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Open
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Lincoln Locked
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="3" />LSD - clutch style
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="4" />LSD - gear style (True Trac)
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="5" />Lock Right - or similar drop inlocker
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="6" />Detroit
    <input type="radio" name="option" value="7" />Other - please explain
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

And if you could please explainn if you would liek,I would apprciate it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Mikey, I voted LSD clutch style only because you said DD and I *assumed* you would not be wheeling THIS truck. Detroits are wonderful but in a DD I'd personally get tired of it............my K5 has a Detroit (two actually /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif), is not a DD and when I drive it it's chirp, chirp city............and figuring on where YOU live with the snow, I'd be leery of a Detroit in that mess. Had an Auburn LS in my K5 (12 bolt at the time) when I lived over by you and it was EXCELLENT in the snow. Very predictable traction.

My $.03

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

im gunna say gov-loc, people hate them, but it takes the wheel 3 revolutions before it locks, i belive, and i find it nice wheelin' in the mud, of corse its my 1st truck with a locker, so i dunno, id say go with a locker that engages "easily" and not with a BAM like the detroits do when you complte a turn on the road. id read more into it still .

4. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I say put a Detroit in and be done with it. It is not as bad as some say /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Put it in drive around for a week and you will get used to it.

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

What about the Power Trax No-Slip Locker. It's supposed to be like the lockright but w/ better street manners I believe.

6. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I drive my Detroit all over the place in the snow and I love it. Just get on and off the gas easily and you'll be fine

8. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

that has to be the first truck youve ever owned if you are recommending gov lok...those things are total pieces of crap...now other limited slips like auburns are nice but hell just detroit it...i did and i never looked back

Later

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i didnt buy the gov loc and instal it, came with it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, yea some people say the detroit is hard for the 1st week, but it gets easier to manage, id just put a big sticker someware that says DETRIOIT EQUIPT, so if you ever have anyone else drive your truck, they will know that you have the detriot. good luck.

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I voted other since you didn't list the ARB which is available for the 14SF! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now if they'd only make one for the 14FF! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good Luck

11. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

First i was open...then i was Auburn LS....next through 2 lockrights...and finally wised up and installed a detroit in my 12 bolt. Daily driver...the detroit has maximum trqction and better highway manners than the lockrights....my .02.

azblazer

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Drivetrain direct has the Eaton E-Locker available now, It was in a flyer i got from them at the Off Road Expo. Its $719, wish i had the money to get it, so instead im going to put a detriot in my 14B sf. Randy's Ring and Pinion has em for $520 or so I believe.

13. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Lockright

14. i daily drive ona detroit, and its not that bad, im sick of the locker backlash, but i can deal with it. but it is fun in the wain /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I voted for welding it up because they are more predictable than a detroit. I have detroits in my DD, and can't complain, but I have thought of taking the Detroit out of the back and welding it up for it to have more predictable street manners.

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I voted for a clutch LSD.
    The gear LSD would be too week w/ 35's or I would have said that. Detroits just arn't fun on the street (and neither are spools!)

17. Emmettology 101

Hey Frank! Hows the weather out in OR? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Some are calling for a bad winter here this year and some are saying mild. WHo knows, they say both every year! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes, this is a DD truck with no wheeling(except the occasion field or something. I am leaning towards an LSD of some sort. The Detroit in my 86K5 is a pain! Too much backlash and a squirrely rear end!

I see Powertrax has a new one out(saw it after my post). It is supposed to be like a Lockright, but withthe characteristics of an LSD... That would be nice since I wouldn't have ot pull the ring carrier and re-set-up the rear. I alos saw one other person mention it in the post..

So whats new? Craving QS&amp;L wings yet? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18. Emmettology 101

No offense and not to start a flame war, but my first Blazer had a 10bolt with a Gov-Lok and I really liked it! I had the Blazers rear end off the ground about 6 ft+ with my foot full on the throttle and it came down spinnin my 35's.. The only thing that broke was an axle shaft! The end broke off in the carrier. I replaced the shaft and wheeled it for a while after that with no problems!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

19. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Do you have an auto or a manual tranmission? This makes a big difference with A detroit, people with manuals have way worse street manners than those with autos.

20. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Sheeat, I'm missing the Quaker Steak wings big time............was in Pittsburgh three weeks ago and never got a chance to head up towards Hermitage. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Weather here is 78 degrees right now and sunny............we're still wearing shorts and t-shirts believe it or not...........

As far as the weathermen predictions..............they don't know jack - ever! Only job you can be wrong most of the time and still keep working /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Be good............