Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what rear end does my 89 v3500 CAB and Chassis have?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by camiswelding, Dec 1, 2004.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

It has 14 bolts but its different than the 14 bolt in my v3500 crew.... this axle has webbing all across the top and the tires sit closer to the springs (slightly) than my crewcab rear end
    This was a CHASSIS CAB truck and came with no bed from the factory,,, has all the hd options including c6p
    thanks
    cam

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It has 14 bolts but its different than the 14 bolt in my v3500 crew.... this axle has webbing all across the top and the tires sit closer to the springs (slightly) than my crewcab rear end
    This was a CHASSIS CAB truck and came with no bed from the factory,,, has all the hd options including c6p
    thanks
    cam

[/ QUOTE ]

are they both full floaters?

if no, one is probably sf and one ff

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Hey cam, pretty shure they changed the style of the 14bff in 87 or 88, to a new stronger style with webbing, also the drums should slide off rather than beeing pressed on frm the back, there was a post a while back that had a pic of the new style pumkin, but it was a whaile ago /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The axle should be a 14 bolt. The webbing runs from yoke to cover, right? It should also have the removeable pinion support too.

In '88 the 14 bolt housing was updated with the cooling fins (webbing) and there were also some changes with the pinion bearings. Most of the later axles did have the pull off type drums but I don't think the R and V series trucks ever got them, I have only seen the pull off drums on the C/K trucks. Also, my 91 V3500 has the original 14 bolt axle and its drums are held onto the hub via the wheel studs, not the pull off type.

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

thanks men
    I concur...new style 14bolt.... I got thrown for a loop when I looked at the other 2 14 bolts I have and they had no webbing.. etc...
    chevy threw whatever was left around on the trucks in these years....it was a a FED National Park Service fire truck and I bet it was specd with the pull off ones...
    thanks for the education...
    cam