Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What rear springs will work?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Dec 1, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

subject says it all. will any rear 1/2 ton springs work on my 69 K5?? or do they have to be a certain years. I know mine are 52" and i dont want 57". i think mine are like 3 and 1/2 wide?

thanks

nathan

2. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

was it that dumb of a question or am i just the only one up at 04:30 am?

3. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

im up
    but i dont have an anwser
    and i dont think there is a dumb question
    if ya dont know ya gotta ask

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Your springs are 52" long and 2.5" wide.
    Any springs from a 1/2 ton chevy will work from 60's through the 80's.
    In 88 they went to 63" leaves.
    You can use 3/4 ton leaves with a leaf or 2 removed if you want but they are 56" long. You will have to move the rear mount back some to make them work.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you are looking for a softer spring to be more flexy then go with a mid to late 80's spring. You can ask Greg72 about that, I gave him my stock 89 rear springs for his 72 blazer and they are much softer giving him more flex.

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

ok thanks. i domt really care about flex b/c i dont rock climb. i am just rying to cure the saggy butt problem. i have 2" blocks as a fix now, but i dont want those on my frame up project.

triaged

once again thank you.

69K5
    nathan

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Scott's right...!

It's like the miracle fix for 1st Gens!

For whatever reason, the later model springs have a MUCH softer spring rate than what my truck had originally (and I'm almost positive they were stock!)

I drove all around Moab with the stock springs and 38's and never rubbed the fenders, even though they were REALLY close in the back. When I swapped Scotts springs in there, it only took one sweeping on-ramp to discover that the new springs were much softer. It rubbed like crazy!

So there you have it.....at least for the 1st Gen guys, a set of late model springs are a direct bolt-in, you can get them probably for FREE from someone who just did a lift, and the rate is something like 250 lbs/in, which is nice and soft.

BTW -> I have already had to do more cutting of the rear fenders due to the softer springs, so be careful what you wish for! Sometimes getting more flex just creates more WORK! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Greg

thanks for the advice. Like you said i can probably find some free. most likely it will be a newer model to. i would hate to get a set of older springs and them have the 30 year sags also. did your truck still sag with the top on and the shackle flip? that is what i am doing now since i had /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif to start a frame up.
    good luyck with the move.

thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

nathan

9. Greg72

It's a little saggier than normal with the softer springs (of course)....but the hardtop is really almost NEVER used anyway, so I probably won't bother to compensate for it.

I still need to build the custom cage I want, and install a spare tire carrier too. If the truck sits low in the back after I've got all the "weight" installed, I will probably go with some zero-rates, or possibly even some sort of airbag assist option.

There was a really cool article in one of the latest offroad mags about a Jeep that had NO springs at all, and used a complete 4 wheel airbag system instead. It supposedly rode awesome, and having infinite adjustability could be really cool......of course I'd have to build a multi-link suspension for something like that, so it's probably more of a "long term" project. Still, it's interesting to see and think about solutions like that.

10. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the bags are a little overkill for me, but it ould be cool to see. i am getting some zerorates for christmas. the shackleflip is on my birthday this friday as well is the 14ff. as soon as i find an 8 lug front axel i am going to get the frame from ringmaster4x4 overe in texas. I bought my wife a tahoe and she gave me her car when my blazer died last week so i doubt i will ever put the top back on. just take the car when it rains. maybe in winter sometimes.

What sixe rims do you have?I cannot find any 15 x 10 8 lug! I can find 16 and 16.6 all day long though.

thanks

nathan

11. Greg72

16.5 x 9.75 with TireLocs on the insides!

Never a problem with D60 brake calipers either..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i think i may have to go with those b/c i cant find any 15's. i guess tommorw when i get back from drill i will go see the local tire guy and see what he says. i am gonna put rear disc on mine so it will save me trouble with grinding but make tire more difficult.

thanks

again

nathan

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

alot of places can get 15" 8lug rims in but almost none of them list them. You have to look in the catalogs to find them.

I have some 15" eatons that I got from national tire and wheel. I like them but now I wish I had gone with beadlocks.
    My wheels have 3.5" backspacing and almost no grinding was required for them to fit a 3/4 ton D44

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, time to quit saying "thanks" over and over on every post. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Certainly you're not going to type that on every post, are you? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. Greg72

Thanks Wes for bringing that up.....

courtesy has NO place on CK5!

thanks!

Hee Hee Heeeeee /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Thanks

16. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Thanks,
    Now I know why all of us stick over on the 1st gen board. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

17. thatK30guy

What can I say? Thanks? [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. thatK30guy

You hang over on the 1st Gen. boards because they are too old for the 2nd Gen.'ers. [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

its not my fault. im fgrom the south and they raise us right here.

thanks for noticing

nathan

20. thatK30guy

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    thanks for noticing

[/ QUOTE ]

There it is again! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif