Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Recovery gear Should i get

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pplblazerdude, Feb 9, 2003.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

I am wonting to get some recovery gear for when i start wheeling and i am not going to get a winch because i cant afford one seeing that im 15 and not able to work except during the summer. But what all should i get. What all do u guys have besides winches. Id appreciate all the help i can get.

Clint /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Buy a good towstrap and bring buddy (preferably one with a winch /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif).

And those things called 'come-along' or 'power-pull'..... Hand ratcheting devices.

We actually hand carried a block-and-tackle up to a bad stuck once. It was an 8 way so for every 8 feet of movement in the block and tackle the vehicle moved 1 foot..... Lots of power tho.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

4. 98sub454

98sub454 Registered Member

id say have 2 tow straps, a high lift, a hitch in the rear with a pin, and 2 tow hooks up front, at least

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

in order of importance...

1) other off-roaders
    2) recovery points (hooks, d-rings, clevis mounts, whatever)
    2) snatch strap
    3) shovel
    4) winch
    5) one of them pully shackle things that lets you do a double line pull
    6) tree strap

i assume you are a friend has a cell phone...

j

6. agrezy1

agrezy1 Registered Member

1.hi lift jack a must i dont wheel with out one.
    2.couple of good snatch straps.
    3.a decent size shovel i used to use a little gi style but they suck now i got a regular size shovel.
    4.a cell phone even if its not activated it should be able to call 911 you might have to hike to get a signal but better to hike for a signal then hike home.
    5.let someone no where your going and when you will be back.
    6.i carry a sheet in my glove box with all my vital information med. history,emergency numbers for someone to claim my carcuss if things go bad.
    7. wheel with some buds, no i dont mean the green kind!
    good luck and have some fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

This is the club I wheel with mandatory equipment list. One thing I would like to point out is chain is not something to use for jerking a truck out. It's a good way to get somebody killed. Chain is good for rigging up a hand winch or a Hi Lift but a propper "RECOVERY" strap is better and stronger for getting a vehicl unstuck using a second vehicle because it acts like a big rubber band.
    A recovery strap will streach and should not be confused with a tow strap/ Tow straps do not streach so be careful to make sure of what your getting. Personnaly I like Keeper brand. I have been using the same 2x30 strap for 6 years without a problem. Most strap failures are users fault. Doing things like not cleaning the mud off them (the dirt acts like little razor blades and cuts the fibers of the strap). putting them up wet and they start to rot. Leaving them in the sun weakens them. Store them dry, clean and in the dark and they will last a long time.
    Any way here is the list we require to be in every vehicle and I can asure you I have used every bit of it multiple times.

Georgia Bounty Runners 4WD Club, Inc.

Mandatory Safety/Recovery Equipment List

Name ______________________________

Vehicle: Year ___________ Make _____________ Model _________________

Group A (must have to go on any club run)

___ ___ Valid drivers license
    ___ ___ Vehicle insurance meeting State minimums
    ___ ___ Current State tag
    ___ ___ Seat belt for driver and all passengers
    ___ ___ Rollbar/Rollcage for all soft top (also recommended for any other removable tops)
    ___ ___ Battery securely bolted down (no rope or bungee)
    ___ ___ Approved front and rear tow points (hooks, receiver, tow eyes)
    ___ ___ Loose-fitting leather work gloves
    ___ ___ Jack, lug wrench, and spare tire of a comparable size to the vehicle tires
    ___ ___ Fire extinguisher (min. 2 l/2 lbs dry chemical ABC rated)
    ___ ___ First aid kit (bee/insect sting care should be included)
    ___ ___ Snatch/Tug strap (2" x 20', sewn eye ends without hooks, minimum 20,000 pounds)
    ___ ___ Secure all loose items (including coolers gas cans, tools recovery gear etc)
    ___ ___ Flashlight with extra batteries
    ___ ___ CB radio with 52" or short antenna
    ___ ___ Emergency medical information for all vehicle occupants (green sheet) consisting
    of doctor's name, phone number, insurance company/policy number, special medical
    conditions/allergies and emergency contact name and phone number(s)

Group B (must have after becoming a member for three months)

___ ___ Tree-saver strap (min 2" x 6")
    ___ ___ D-Clevis and/or shackle (min 5/8")
    ___ ___ Chain with grab hooks at both ends (min. 5/l6" x 20')
    ___ ___ Hand winch or come-a-long, 2 ton (or 4000 lbs) minimum
    ___ ___ Jumper cables (long and big)
    ___ ___ Shovel (min. l2' handle)
    ___ ___ Axe (24") and/or tree saw
    ___ ___ Flares and/or road reflectors

Group C (recommended)

___ ___ Pickax or Mattock
    ___ ___ Short chain with grab hooks at both ends (3/8" x 6')
    ___ ___ Hi-Lift jack, with accessories (wood base, extra chain, etc.)

(1) Inspected by ______________________________________Date _______________

(2) Inspected by ______________________________________Date _______________

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, SEE THE VICE PRESIDENT/SAFETY OFFICER

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Grim, what's the 20' of chain requirement about? Just curious

9. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

No bungee cord to hold the battery??? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    I'm in trouble /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Chain is what he uses to lift his axle with only a 48" hi lift and flexy suspension.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. FWP

FWP CRS

I understand what you're saying there, but a 10k lb rachet strap does just as good as a chain, and weighs a hell of alot less/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Good for when you need to rig a Come-A-Long. If you rig it w/ a strap the strap will streach and the C-A-L will run out of travel before you move the truck.

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

What is in my rig at all times.
    Shovel
    axe
    come along ( a good one)
    trusty high lift
    30' snatch strap.
    a 4 , 15 and 25' chain
    chain binder
    2'x3' expanded metal screen for putting under the high lift
    tree saver
    Chocks
    Having attach points front and rear is a major plus.

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Well, first you need to address the issue of survival gear and stuff you need to bring along.

We require front and rear tow hooks and a fire extinguisher in our club. Our club usually has no fewer than 9 vehicles going out so there is always someone that has something you can use.

I carry enough tools to fix anything I can on the trail. That includes an alternator belt/radiator hoses and several different sizes of fuel and vacuum line. Someday I'll probably carry universals also. I also carry two quarts each of ATF and oil. I carry a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze and a half a gallon of the infamous "emergency gas" that you can buy at the department store. I carry a pair of 20' 2 gauge jumper cables. I also carry an assorted backpack of junk that contains road flares, tire patches, tire plugs, radiator "pellets", tapes, and zip ties. I also carry some large zip ties (30" long). I have two first aid kits and carry a large blanket with two lighters and candles in the middle of it. Somewhere I have toilet paper, garbage bags, and leather gloves too but I don't know if they're in the truck anymore. You always need flashlights also. I've got two, one mounted on each door. Always have the stuff to change a tire even if you don't carry a fullsize spare. Someone else probably will in your group and they might let you borrow.

For trips only:
    I carry a 4 ton come-along and 12' of 5/16" chain with one tow hook and one grab-on-itself hook on the other end.
    A snatch (recovery) strap good for 30,000lbs. Girly trucks like Toyotas have a hard time getting fullsizes out of holes if you get the 40,000 or 60,000lb straps.
    I also carry a real shovel, a real axe, and 5 gallons of gas.
    Depending on my mood I take my 5 gallon portable air tank with me just in case.

It's a good idea to have a cellular phone (and CB radio). An elaborate first aid kit with the bee shots would be nice but as far as I'm concerned anyone that has allergies should be taking care of themselves.

Everything in the cab needs to be securely fastened. I recommend the same goes for stuff in the bed of a pickup (if you've got a truck) even though I usually leave my shovel, axe, and chain loose. The rest gets fastened but the shovel and axe get used often.

Someday I'll carry a hi-lift and I highly recommend getting yourself a 60" hi-lift jack. If you get a come-along don't bother with one under 4 tons. They're a waste of time and will just bend or break. My 4 ton one is a bit on the wimpy side in my opinion but I have used it to lift up a truck before. Of course, a strap should be first on your list (30'x3" seems to be universal). If you get a come-along you'll want a high test chain (preferably 4,000lbs or more which is pretty much 3/8" or bigger).

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hilift isnt always a "required" dont-leave-home-without it type thing... some rigs are litterally to tall to highlift, for example. My 48" hilift is pretty much useless even with my 35s on... with the 39.5s even with a 60" hilift you'd be pushin it. If you use the old chain between the axle and frame trick, it helps a lot... a rig with any flex will be able to keep all 4 on the ground in spite of a hilift sometimes. guys who can ramp at 1000 and stuff...yikes. pretty much need to connect the axle and the frame somehow (chain trick) or use a jack that goes under the axle itself.

j

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The Hi lift is usefull in many ways other than changing tires, and as you stated tying the axle to the frame with anything will make it easy to change the tire even with a 48" lift and no matter what size tires.
    I have used it to winch myself out before I got the winch.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. racercrazy

racercrazy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for asking the question. I needed to know myself. Thanks guys/gals for the great replies and helping newbies out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

Would it be better for me to get a come along or a hi lift to winch my self out because i cant afford a winch and all that junk right now or should i get both of them.

Thanks Clint /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

19. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Get both, you could be in a sot you need to lift w/highlift and keep it from falling downhill which you could do with the comealong.