Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What relaible, inexpensive used car to buy?UPDATE: Bought the Toy

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Skigirl, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Friend of mine's car died and she called me to help choose a new one. I know Toys pretty well, and Hondas seem reliaable tho I don't know much about them, but I think she's stuck on getting an american car. Doesn't have a lot of dough.

Any suggestions? Weak and strong points on the suggested cars?

TIA guys!

Pam

UPDATE: Well, she looked at the Toy Avalon, drove it, fell in love with it, I got the price down to $5K and it's done. Some electronic stuff recently replaced, new cat, new tires, no codes, clean in and out. Needs a visor cover repaired. As a note, the damn thing has heated seats. My Lexus doesn't. I'm just a little jealous about that part. Not that I'd ever use heated seats (maybe AC seats), but it's the principle of the thing.

Thanks for all the advice guys. :bow::bow::bow:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Ford Focus can usually be bought fairly cheap. Not a bad car, Reliable, My daughter has a 01 Focus It has been trouble free. They are a good basic get around car. Good MPG Cheap to operate. Nothing fancy

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Thank you. Hadn't thought of those.

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Might also want to look at Dodge Neons too to compair. They are good little cars too. They can usually be picked up cheap. Try to find one that hasn't been hot rodded. They were very popular with younger drivers when they first came out because they had a fairly fast engine for a compact car.
    Not as good MPG as Focus. Similar maby a little bit better performance depending on year and engine in the Focus.
    I had Dodge Colt 2.2L for many years. It was a good car. Cost me very little to drive. Very dependable.

I have never been much of a fan of GM small cars. They dont seem to last very long.

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Colt, eh?:thinking:

Speaking of hotrodding cars, years ago I tried to buy a Dodge Omni (IIRC - maybe it was some other Dodge weirdo car) that was Shelby modified. Almost got the guy to part with it. That little POS looking car would almost do a wheely off the line.

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Saturn's have excellent reliability ratings.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I've thought about Saturns too. One of my friends has one and loves it. Only downside is cost of parts.

My neighbor is selling a cherry 1998 Toyota Avalon asking $5500 but pricing thru Edmunds puts it at about $5000. Gonna try to talk my friend into reconsidering Toys. Its a nice ride, but mileage is a little high and the current owner didn't get the maintenence records from the previous owner. On the other hand it looks clean, new cat, new snesors. Most important to me is how often oil was changed. Doesn't look like any gelling tho, so probably OK. Last oil change was in September and it's sat for a while, driven very occasionally.

We'll see.

8. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If just reliability and economy are key, i'd skip an avalon. Just seem to have lots of electronic stuff that will die at some point. I just wouldnt' consider that if you are looking at civics and stuff like that.

If she goes to the snow ever, i'd look into a subaru . I think they are awesome...awd, good mileage, can you go wrong?

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, the current owner had to replace all the sensors..Do you know what in particular they have problems with? Electronic stuff is a total expensive PITA once it's not a 70's K5...

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Saturns are by NO MEANS expensive compared to import cars. I am finally having to give up on my Saturn. It has no power but its a good beater car.

I'd take a Focus any day over a Neon. The biggest piece of **** product that Mitsubishi has made in the past 12 years was the Eclipse with the Neon engines in them.

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The GLH model. As far as the wheelie.....it's front wheel drive.
    BTW.... after doing a motor swap on a Shadow( I think) with the same 2.2 turbo, I messed up 2 vac lines. The one for the waste gate and the one for the heater. On my buddies GLH we swapped the same hoses and could control the wastegate by adjusting the heater control.

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: Bahhaaa Haaa Haaa ........Yeah........Hit the defrosters!!
    MOOORE BOOOOOOST!:waytogo: :waytogo:

13. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Stay away from neons and focus, go with a honda or acura, I have an 95 accord with close to 200k miles on it and it runs like the day I bought it, its all about preventative maintance!