Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what sealer for valley gasket?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Oct 22, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

my intake manifold gasked instructions say to apply a think coat of sealer around the intake ports on the inside and topside of the gasked to prevent vaccume loss, will black RTV work for this?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep, it'll work perfect.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

On my last couple intake swaps, I ditched the ends gaskets in favor of a 1/4" thick bead of black RTV. This was recommend to me by a very reputable Chevy engine builder...

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    On my last couple intake swaps, I ditched the ends gaskets in favor of a 1/4" thick bead of black RTV. This was recommend to me by a very reputable Chevy engine builder...

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As a matter of fact, some GM manuals state to do the same. Don't use the end gaskets at all, just make sure the bead is thick enough.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

well i already used the seals that came with it, too bad, i wish i saw this first. i hope it doesnt leak, if it does, i know how to fix it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup I had issues with the darn things too, the old man walked up and handed me the rtv....I have never had a problem since /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

-shawn

8. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I use copper instead of black. It's impervious to every chemical in the engine and is high temp as well.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

one of the reasons the RTV on end gaskets is good is when heads and blocks have been milled, changing that end gap. the RTV don't care what gap it is... oh, and i use the black too....

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I never use the end seals anymore after a few of them popped out and caused mucho leakage--.I used "Ultra Blue" permatex,its supposed to be more oil resistant than the others--but it comes in all your favorite colors--Ultra Black-Ultra Blue-Ultra Copper-Ultra Grey-Red High Temp--Ive used them all with good results---I wonder when they will come out with "Ultra Clear",or "Ultra Silver"?? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif