Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What seats should I put in my first gen?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Stroked72Blazer, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

First I need to keep the whole thing under $500.

I want some seats that will fold and slide forward or lift and fold forward to allow easier acces to the rear seats. It must do this on both sides unlike some J**ps and Bronco II's. I also want a highback bucket like what is in a J**p but it must recline. And finally they must be weather and mud proof. To get this I imagine I will have to find the seats I want and have them reapulstered which is no problem if it can all be done for under $500. Oh yea electric seats would be a plus. What doner vehicles should I look to?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Find whatever you like the looks of and start from there...

Highback seats are not going to give you much access to the rear area though. The current lowback (flipforward) is pretty cramped and hits the windshield....

Conventional "tilt-forward" seats are probably not going to be that great either. They work in cars reasonably well, but when a passenger has to climb up, and simultaneously wriggle over a hunched seatback....I can't imagine it would be easy for anyone to do...

Just some thoughts. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. Stroked72Blazer

I'm not talking about just folding. I have seen some late model chevy trucks that when you fold the seat forward the whole seat slides all the way to the front but when you put it back it goes back to the spot it started in. As for low back hitting the front winshield... I must be confused... I don't comprehend. Are you talking about the stock seat? And if so how do they operate? I think I have J**p seats but the dont fold or recline. I do know they are not properly mounted for whatever kind of seats they are. Of coarse I may not be totaly clear on the differance between lowback and highback either.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the top of the stock passanger seats (atleast in my 85 Jimmy) hit the windshield when tilted all the way forward. Its no biggie, and a lower-backed seat prolly wouldnt have the same problem, but it doesnt definitely limit accessibility to the rear of the truck.

I have a set of Corbeau Baja SS seats...

[​IMG]

they are the most cozy seats (automotive or otherwise) that I have ever sat in. they are harness friendly and the sides really hold on to ya which is great when wheelin. Cant say enough good things about them. Of course, others peoples backs may disagree. They about cost $300/pair, so you'd be well under your budget. At any rate, for the price of a sheet of 1/8" steel and a few feet of angle iron, I mounted my corbeau's to my factory brackets like this...

pic 1

pic 2

If I wanted to have both sides tilt up and I didnt wanna spend a lot of $ to do it, I'd prolly just go to the junk yard and find another passanger-side seat mount from a similar K5 and mount it on the drivers side. Presto, both seats tip upwards. Alternatively, because the seats mounting tabs are the way they are, it shouldnt be hard to design a system that would allow them to flip forward by pivoting about the front two mounting points while disconnecting from the rear two. I rarely need to get in the back of my rig much anymore so my current system works for me.

j

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

right now im looking for some newer leather firebird seats

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Know where to get them man? Liking the look and I want new seats in my K5.

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I have the Beard Super Seats, indentical to the Corbeau's, (thanks BigJ) and thanks to <font color="orange"> Jekbrown </font> for having those pics of his home made bracket. I used his design to make my own with a small change. The 1/8" plate has sharp edges even after grinding so I have a piece of thin carpeting bolted between the angle iron and plate and hanging down to the floor to help protest ankles and such

8. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

late 1990's Chrysler mini-van. Nice comfy seats, fold-down arm-rest, lays back... mine ran me $15.00 each at the u-pull it and were nearly brand new. Clean, perfect condition, no wear... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif then you can put the $470 you saved into something else... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. jekbrown

i got mine from a place on yahoo stores...
    link

i looked all over... they tend to range from $145-ish to $170-ish depending on where you look. All i did was do a search for "corbeau baja ss" on yahoo and it found about a dozen or so sites that had em. You might wanna run through the list a little just to see if you can find a place that will bean collins $147/ea price.

oh yeah, thanks for the props big pappa b. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif AFA the corners go, yeah mine were kinda sharp too... gotta spend some time with them and a nice file to get them good and rounded/smooth... shouldnt tear up the legs too much after that. The 1/8" and angle iron thing I did is a good idea for peeps that dont have welders, tube benders and all that jazz. All I had was a grinder and a drill and thats what I came up with. Works for me. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

10. big pappa b

Thats' what I used, a drill press and a 4" grinder.
    TIP: is you dont have a plasma cutter or something to cut 1/8" steel, take good measurements before you go someplace and just give them a rough estimate of the size you want; 20x20 for example. It looks close but I still trimmed about 2-3" of each piece....with my grinder /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Grind a line and bend, bend, bend untl it snaps off, then grind some more to get it straight /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep.

The stock passenger seat is a rigid back seat, but the entire assembly flips forward into the dash/windshield. The resulting passthrough is not all that great, especially as I mentioned, if you have to also climb UP significantly to get in through the door.

On the driver's side, a flipforward seat would be even LESS useful because it's going to hit the steering wheel before it can provide any meaningful passthrough for ya.....

It might be one of those things you have to see in person, or maybe just borrow a seat and experiment with positioning it where you think it will go. It will probably become obvious after a short time why the factory didn't provide a better solution. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Greg is right, the flip-forward pass-through stinks and is even harder to crawl through if you have any sort of lift making it a balancking act to get to the rear seat. A highback bucket will hit the windshield allowing a five year old through, but not much more. BUT, if the seat fully reclines, it will flip forward almost 90 degrees allowing more space (assuming it doesn't contact the hardtop, but if you run topless it doesn't matter).

This is one of the reasons I don't have a center console. I find it's far easier for most adults to crawl around the passenger seat and through the space between the seats. It's also where I like to stand when I put my soft-top up or down.

A really nice setip is highback buckets from a late model pickup (dodge or chev) which have the shoulder belt integrated into the seat itself, but unless you find a screaming deal, it'll likely push you over $500.

13. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    with my grinder /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Grind a line and bend, bend, bend untl it snaps off, then grind some more to get it straight /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

or you could go to homedepot and just get a cut-off wheel for your grinder and cut the steel that way... thats what I did. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

14. big pappa b

That's what I did. I just didn't cut it all the way through, maybe halfway then grabbed it with vise grips and bent it back and forth til it snapped off. Trying to preserve that $2.50 cutting wheel /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. jekbrown

lol!! I admit I really do go through cutting discs like a champ.. I need to start buying them in bulk from someplace cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

16. big pappa b

[ QUOTE ]
    lol!! I admit I really do go through cutting discs like a champ.. I need to start buying them in bulk from someplace cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Go here the tool warehouse

17. Stroked72Blazer

OK Greg I see what your saying, especially with the stearing wheel. So I guess that leaves me with The latemode pick-up buckets that fold forward and slide in their tracks. Does any one know what makes and years I can start looking to?

18. Stroked72Blazer

19. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

My 87 ext. cab s10 has those seats in it. I am sure any 2 door car from the 80-90's would be a good place to look.

20. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

I am tellin ya... mid/late 90's chrysler/dodge mini-van. good seats, with tracks, etc... the passenger side even comes with a built-in oh-sh!t handle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif