Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What seats to get for replacement?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ErikH, Jul 9, 2002.

1. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about replacing the front seats of my blazer with high-back seats (for safety and comfort). I'd like to buy used or salvaged seats, and I'd like the job to be easy (of course). What sort of seats best fit my situation? Are there new seats out there that'll swap in with the least amount of fabrication? Does anyone have hints to help me out?

Thanks,
    Erik

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

www.seatsource.com has all the major aftermarket units.........I bought Flofit seats from them over 3 years ago, were a 20 minute bolt in affair /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif with the supplied mounts. Not cheap, but worth it to me.

3. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I got some medium back buckets out of a f*rd mini-van. I didn't want high back because you won't be able to tilt the passenger seat up enough to get behind it anymore. you can get the seats out of just about anything. once you remove the brackets, on the bottom they are all pretty much the same (although I'd still check them out first). just look around the junkyards for seats you like with good foam. as long as the stuffing is good you can always have them recovered at some point.

I was able to adapt the passenger side stock brackets to the new seat without much problem. I don't have any special tools or anything, just a cutting wheel. it's really not that hard. just get in there start getting some measurements and you'll do fine.

as for the drivers side, I kept the new slider rails (much nicer than the stock blazer slider) and made new risers to get the seat to the right height.

one thing that might help is to make your new brackets out of wood first, then use these as a template for your final metal brackets. DO NOT LEAVE THE WOOD BRACKETS IN. I have seen people do this and it is not smart. if you ever get into an accident they will not hold.

4. K5Willie

K5Willie Registered Member

I have a '72 K5 and when I bought it, some guy had already replaced the stock seats with seats from a 5.0 Mustang. The idea was a good one but it has pros and cons:
    PROS
    1) The seats are a hell of a lot more comfortable (and safer) than the stock seats in my uncle's '72.
    2) They look cool.
    3) They are relatively cheap at any junkyard.

CONS
    1) They didn't bolt up extactly so a small steel frame had to be fabricated. I don't know if there are kits available from LMC or somewhere like that for seat converisons. My guess is they are available somewhere. If not, the frames would be really easy to make if you had access to some tubing and a stick welder.
    2) Due to the frame, the new seats are about 2" higher than the stock seats which creates a steering wheel clearance problem. The stock wheel had to be replaced with a sissy ass 12" Grant GT wheel. I hate it!
    3) Due to the raised height, the angle of view is all screwed up now for the rearview mirror. In other words, no matter which way I angle the darn thing all I see is the hinges to the back window. It also makes you feel like you're riding unnaturally high in the cab.

Hope this helps.

5. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Thanks to everyone for their replies. It's sounds like I can go for nearly any junkyard seat(s) and fabricate the necessary mounts (yep, got tubing and a welder). I'll eventually post some pics when I get the job done... which'll be a few months from now, of course.

6. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

I like the Accord seats, goto ebay and search for Accord Seats there is a pair on there in great condition for only 100 bucks right now. Will require a little custom fabbing but they are nice looking. I was going to buy them but dont have the extra cash now.

Good Luck
    Johnny

7. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

My Blazer has some high back seats of unknown origin. A previous owner installed them and fabricated the brackets. If you make your own brackets, make sure the seats sit at the stock height. Mine are also too high and it is uncomfortable. I have to duck a little to see out the front window (I'm also 6'3" so that probably doesn't help). High backs do interfer with the tilt on the passenger side seat. Mine still tilt but if someone did it hard, they could take out the front windshield. I've got a line on some stock seats and brakets that I'm going to check out this weekend.

Beard makes some nice seats too. You can get matching rear seats. Bestop has some made out of neoprene if you run topless a lot.

8. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

I put seats in mine that were out of a VW rabbit . And yes they are a little on the high side . I thought I had it measured out pretty good but they are about 2`` higher. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

9. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

when you measure be sure to measure from the top of the seat cushion not the bottom. that may help. also be accurate and test the hight first. I put my new seats on 2x4's and adjusted the height until it was comfortable before fabing the brackets.

10. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I think the sedan seats are a ggod idea... easier to find around here. And good tip about measuring from the top of the cushion... I would've measured from the bottom and ended up with high-chairs.

11. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

Other than being too high, how do you like your VW seats? I was thinking of trying to find a set of White Leather Recaro's from a late 80's Cabriolet.

12. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

The VW seats are pretty comfortable. I would like to put a bench seat out of a truck in my blazer.

13. jeffer

jeffer 1/2 ton status

Maybe they're more comfortable in the Blazer than in the Rabbit. My daily driver is an '82 Rabbit convt (w/ transplanted GTI motor), and I don't like the seats so much. Maybe it's because it's difficult to adjust them for good driving in the Rabbit due to the shifter location. Being a short person with long legs and short arms it's kind of weird because you have to have the seat far back and very straight upright to reach the shifter comfortably. I don't really have a problem in my Blazer though. I think that if you could recline them a bit more it might be better.

Like I said maybe they would be better in the Blazer. Plus, the backs do flip forward if you get the conv't versions.

just my useless ramblings.......

Jeff.