Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What shall I do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fabjunkie, Apr 6, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Took the '77 out for the first time this weekend. It did really well until I blew out the rear end.

Check out that frame flex! Found out there's a couple body mount bolts missing. :doah:
    [​IMG]

Found out I need lockers.....
    [​IMG]

And found the first part to break here......
    [​IMG]

It shattered the upper and lower spiders. So we welded the side gears to the carrier to get me home. The weld must have let go on the pass. side cause I now only have right wheel peel, but the pass. side axle doesn't budge, so I assume that just the weld let go. It ran good and pretty smooth on the highway after this on the way home. So I'm assuming that the R&P might be ok. :o

I figure these are my options.
    1. Find a whole other 4.10 geared 12-bolt for the simplest swap.
    2. Try to find a good deal on a 4.10 geared 14ff, then have extra expenses of a couple new wheels, and conversion u-joint.
    3. I found a 3.73 geared, limited slip 12-bolt for $150 (don't know the condition of the clutches. Does this seem kinda high? I mean I could probably find a 14 bolt for that). Swap the 4.10's out of mine (if they're not chewed up). So ~$150 plus install kit.
    4. Get a mini spool and call it done. How's this one? http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D730120&N=115&autoview=sku Since we welded the side gears to the carrier, this would also require a new carrier.
    5. Something that I'm not thinking about.

I plan on going to 14ff and hopefully a D60 eventually, but I have no money and just want it back on the road as fast as possible (cheapest route for now). I'm going to drop the cover back off this weekend to see what the current status is. What does the brotherhood suggest?

2. Wnxsnowman

Wnxsnowman Registered Member

Go 14bolt 100% ive got an 80 blazer, broke the POS 12 bolt the day after i put my tires on(same exact as yours, cept mine look fatter...) my dads a mechanic and happened to have a 4.10 geared 14 bolt layin around, put that in, tried the same thing that broke the 12 bolt, didnt even care.... definitely the way to go

3. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

No one else has any input? The 14-bolt is what I expected to hear. I'm leaning towards a mini-spool though since it seems to be the cheapest route. Any pros or cons to running one?

4. gauder

gauder Banned

Just take it slow turning around corners.

5. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

well if youre really already running a 3.73 or 4.10 then you definitely want to go with a 14 bolt, i wouldnt go spend 150 on another littly dinky axle when you could buy a 14 for the same or less

good luck either way :D