Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What shims have you used??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rcpilot, Sep 29, 2003.

1. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Got my Echobit flip ready to install... Mike suggested 5 deg shims.. I currently have a set of 4 deg shims.. If ya have installed the Echobit flip what deg of shim worked for you?? Its goin on a '76 K5 w/12b. I'm only going for the 4-5 inch lift, going to remove those /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gifblocks...

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If you have the 4 degree shims already...use 'em.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If you do some simple math, a 4" shackle flip changes pinion angle by about 8 degrees. If you lower the transfer case, 4 degree might me OK, but pushing it. An angle finder is a great tool. I say try it and see.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No shims for me and works fine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Pinion angle is pretty high but no driveline vibes.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

After dropping the transfer case, and using 5 degrees, It minimized *most* of the vibes, but I still had them. Then again, I have a slip yolk, I dont think you do...

6. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I did a homade 5" shackle flip on mine, didn't drop the x-case, and used no shims. Seems about perfect for a rear cv driveshaft, which I still need to get. But even without the cv, no vibes.

7. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

I have a new drive shaft and it is a slip yoke.. the 4" rancho blocks under it now look about 4 deg.. the pinion tilts slightly up.. I'm going to use the 4's first this week and I'll test it out.. seems 5 deg are a little hard to come by.. both 4WheelParts and National Spring in San Diego have to order them... so we'll see /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif