Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What shocks to run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JUNIOR-K5, May 7, 2006.

1. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

What shocks would you guys recomend for a 8" lift with 56" springs in the rear. I want to get full flex and not bottom out the shocks at full flex. So what length and brand be good.

2. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What length all depends on your particular rigs suspension performance. In the 14-15 inch range id go with bilstein 5100's or mx6 adjustables. I just wish they made the mx6 in a 15" travel version.... i'd be running four right now if they did.

3. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

it also depends on what you are using the vehicle for. for a trail rig rock crawler i would run the cheapest shock and in board them so i wouldnt need as long of one. that is, if i ran shocks at all.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

definitely choose something that will do your purpose.. I dont do rocks at all so alot of flex is not needed for me. If it was my skyjacker shocks wouldnt cut it.. I go to full flex and my shocks hold me from going any farther... although it can be nice as if I did flex any more I would seperate my front d-shaft :doah:

5. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

i havnt ran these but ive seen a few people running them and they are pretty cheap shocks with long travel. BBCS are 99 bucks a piece and have travel lengths in 13 and 15 inch.

6. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

im not sure of the part numbers, but i know you can get shocks with about 12" of travel for about $15-$25 each.

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got gabriel shocks for k5 w/ 4" lift rear shocks in front ($20 each) then some pro-comp 14" travel shocks in rear ($35 each) and they work decent with my 8" lift

8. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

My rig will see mostly mud, trails and some rocks not much. So I should look for shocks with 15" range collapsed and 26" extended is that over kill or good. Thanks guys for your replys.

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Id think those numbers would be good for rocks...

mud ya really dont need to worry about flex as much...trails and light rocks... depends.... id say just get a set.. if the ones you listed are cheap enough.. why not.. or if you can afford them go for it.... but for some trail and rocks not like mini rubicons and stuff it doesnt matter as much.....

I do mainly mud... yeah would be nice as if the mud ruts.. you can flex into them hammering it down... but if yer tires chew mud all tires will be digging down anyway :haha: