Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I buy first?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Krusher, Mar 28, 2003.

1. K5Krusher

K5Krusher Registered Member

I've been told I should buy a 14 bolt rear and a Dana 60 front end for my 83 K5. I have a stock drive train with the exception of a built 350. A 6 inch lift w/38's. Need more torque! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

here we go /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

3. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

axles would be a good start. you will find a wealth of information on doing a swap by using the search feature, you may actually find too much info. If you have any specific questions after that feel free to ask. good luck

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well low geared axles will gain you gobs of torque at the wheels.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What should I buy first?

[/ QUOTE ]

All depends on your budget, and also depends on what you plan on doing with the truck......

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im a firm believer in axles-first.... you have sorta jumped the gun with them 38s... but in general i like the idea of saving up, getting the right axles, and then building up from there. Tires IMO, are the very LAST thing you add in a "build up"...

j

7. K5Krusher

I am in the middle purchasing a 14FF from jk5 I guess, my budy is arranging the transaction. I guess I'm now looking for a Dana 60? Does that sound right? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What should I buy first?

[/ QUOTE ]

First and foremost, put away $25 for a membership here. I GUARANTEE you will save that much from what you learn in the first 6 months alone. And that isn't including ANY of the discounts member's get.

As far as your axles go, first things first. Figure out what you plan to do with your rig. If you keep it on the road 99% of the time, your stock axle will probably hold up up front. If you drop it into 4WD often, are heavy on the skinny pedal offroad, or are locked up front, you will need a bigger front axle. The only real option for that is a Dana 60. I am gathering you haven't priced one yet!

9. K5Krusher

Price is all relative, not the #1 concern. My truck sits next to my building and goes two places...the bar and the mud(usually in that order) Is a Detroit Locker the way to go? I've been told yes for what I use it for. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. jekbrown

detroits are super reliable, thats for sure. I run them front and rear in my rig. What size tire are you going to run again? mud is generally forgiving, compared to rocks, so you may be able to run your stock front axle for a while depending on what tires you plan on using. Most 1/2t fronts wont hold up to well to 44s. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

11. K5Krusher

I plan on running anywhere from 38's to 40's. I will definetly be using detroits front and rear. Is a Dana 60 wise from the get go or should I see what happens with the 10 bolt?

12. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

dont waste money on locking up the Ten bolt obviously, but i wouldnt hesitate to go wheelin with it, atleast until you get a 60, Dont put one dime into the tenbolt as far as performance parts go, but keep the brakes good, then beat the hell out of it till it breaks, hopefully by then youll have a fresh 60 waiting in the garage to swap in.

13. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Don't forget that your stock gearing in the 10bolt is going to be all wrong for the size of tires you are using. I say as soon as you get the 60 re-gear, lock and install. you mentioned you needed more torque at the wheels, this will get it done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I can't see it being good for any of your components running 38's in the mud with the wrong gears. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Price is all relative, not the #1 concern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donations welcome!!!

15. jekbrown

yeah, running your 1/2t stuff until it breaks is one way to do it... personally I would rather sell my 1/2t stuff while it was still in good shape and worth something to help me pay for the $penDee60. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif to each their own I guess,

j