Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what should I do before I leave for....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Mar 8, 2005.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

Afghanistan. I'll be gone for a year,what should I do with my truck while Im gone its going to sit at my parents farm. should I just have them start it every week and drive it around the property? or would it be fine if i drained the fuel and just kept it in the barn?

thanks guys
    scouts out!

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

technically it would be better for it to be run often as possible, keep corrosion low in radiator, keep up battery, help keep mice out, help keep engine bearings lubed, trans parts lubed, should drive it too to keep brakes ok and not dryrot so fast, master cylinder, etc,

a few miles a week would be great and the best really

not to mention carb dry up freezing, gas tank yuck, lines, hoses, etc,

3. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

u can ship it to my house. i would drive it at least once a month for u but just around the block. it would never see mud or dirt:whistle::whistle::whistle:

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Good Advice..

Randy is right,driving it even a few miles a week or two is the best way to keep everything going--nothing worse than letting a vehicle sit idle--keeping the tank full and using a gas stabilizer like "Sta-Bil" from a parts store keeps the gas from going stale--draining the tank makes it rust and water from condensation will cause problems in short order,its best to keep it near full as possible..

Too bad I didnt follow my own advice!!--my 81 chevy G10 van has been sitting outdoors since dec 2003,with a gallon of gas in it if its lucky--and I think I started it twice since then--:blush: --I bet it will be real dependable when I put plates on it again,I can see it now--rusty gas tank,brake lines popping,master cylinder junk, brake calipers seized..etc---I hate living in new england where things rot away in a year or two...:frown1: :frown1: :frown1: