Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do? Dana 44 & 12 bolt rear?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazerBoy, Feb 8, 2001.

1. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

I have 10 bolts with 4:56 gears in my 87' right now. If things go right I might be able to get a dana 44 and a 12 bolt rear for FREE if not for free really cheap. I hope to some day put in a dana 60 and a 14 bolt but dont see that happening any time soon. So I am debating, If I get them, should I regear them for my 36's and put them in?? or should I sell them and hold out for the 14 bolt someday?? Or should I just put them in and forget regearing to save some money?? Wonder what the stock gears are?? I am not sure what year they are. What do you guys think... Thanks for all your help guys...

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

For the gearing, 3.73 is the lowest I've seen in the 1/2 ton stuff if it's still stock, though there might be some 4.10 geared stuff floating around. There's also a chance they could have 3.08's or something in between. Basically, even in the best case in regards to gearing they won't be anywhere close to the 4.56's you currently have.
    Strength-wise, the front Dana 44 will give very little, if any, strength increase over the current 10-bolt. In the rear, assuming the current 10-bolt has 28 spline axleshafts, the 12-bolt could give a decent increase in strength. The downside is spending the money on re-gearing the 12 if you really have your heart set on a 14 bolt on down the road. However, if you get the 12 free and then pay for the gears, you might be able to get most of the money back if you sell it down the road.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well first off the 44 is not that much stronger than the 10 bolt so sell the 44 sell your rear 10 bolt and take the money from selling your 44 and 10 bolt and buy gears 4 the 12 bolt just my .02 then when you get farther down the road sell them both and get the 60 and 14 just an idea

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Have you broke anything on your 10 bolts yet?

If you haven't and I were you.. I would stick with them and save your cash for the 60/14FF.....

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status