Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do for a motor?? ~PCV fixed, now what?~

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Nov 28, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well as some of you know, I`ve had some problems with my motor. So now I think its time to decide what should go in there next. After coming really close to picking up a 383, and then having it fall through before I could do anything, I`m not looking for something to do right now, but it will be in the near future. So what should I do???? What should i be looking for? should i just find a decent running 350, clean and tune it up, and put it in? or should i try and find one that could use a rebuild, and slowly rebuild it? I could get help from my buddy and his dad on building it all up, so that "shouldn`t" be a problem. If i were to do that, what would suggest? as far as parts go..cam,etc....I would like to make it, if possible, to run on the stock ECM, so no extreme cams, etc....

On the other hand, I could try and figure out whats wrong with my motor:eek1: It definitely burns oil, smokes sometimes like a SOB, and it will knock on occasion, mostly on highways...I suppose i could put rebuilt heads on it, but wouldnt that eventually bring out the next weakest link, most likely something in the bottom end?

How much, in general would a shop charge to rebuild a motor, or clean it up? I`m new to motor work, so what are my options?

In the very near future, I`ll be picking up a new tranny, 700r4, thats built, so a little more power over stock won`t hurt..:D

I`d like to get a motor, and rebuild it slowly, and have it done by mid spring, then get it in there.....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

what are the aspects of engine performance are you looking for? iirc, this is your dd, so how important is fuel economy?

don't do a half ass job. burning oil is probably a result of bad piston rings, so changing heads won't help. if you're gonna fix the piston rings, do a real rebuild.

don't know, but rebuilding an engine is a pretty easy task.

this is a very good idea.

3. NEK5

Well, as you said this is my DD. All i really want, is more power than stock, but not so much where I gotta start screwing with the computer. Fuel economy is pretty important, as I`ll be driving it alot more than I usually do. So based on that, what are my options?

4. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'll disagree.

bolting parts together for something that runs for a little while is a pretty easy task. building a powerplant that will last requires some special tools, and ALOT of patience and attention to detail. a dial bore gauge, a set of micrometers, and a good quality set of feeler gauges are a must.

6. NEK5

I`d love to go with something like that, but I wouldn`t be able to shell out that kind of money...

How much am I looking at to rebuild a 350? I`m sure it all comes down to which components I go with, but maybe you could give me a ball park estimate???

7. camok5

It all depends on how much of the work you are willing to do yourself.
    If you just take them a complete engine it will cost close to the one I showed you but wont have alot of the upgrades and extra horsepower.

8. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

9. NEK5

I was told by another member, i could get just get the adaptor plate and then jusy just use an older motor, but still use my tbi/computer?

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

the adapter plate for what?

11. NEK5

well, i think to put the throttle body onto a carburated intake?

12. camok5

You can do that but it all depends on the engine because TBI computers are picky. The carb engine would have to have close to the same setup as your stock engine or it will run like crap. If its a mild 350 you might be able to get away with just just burning a new chip but you will have to know certain things like what cam, heads, etc. the carb engine has to make it run right with your TBI.

13. colbystephens

then you'd probably hate to see what i think is difficult. :wink1:

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

like what?

15. colbystephens

well, i've never really had a truck project that was very difficult. sometimes its time consuming tho. the harder part of rebuilding an engine is installing it, in my opinion.

i don't question your automotive skills/knowledge, b/c i'm sure you're far beyond me in both, as i've only been doing auto stuff for a couple years. besides, iirc, you're doing an SFA swap on w/ dually axels, right? i don't even know how to weld yet... whatever. just giving you a hard time. :)

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no dually, just a SRW HP60 and a 14 bolt that were never offered in the truck.

17. colbystephens

to the original poster -

i think you'd really benefit from building your own engine. really knowing how everything works is cool. knowing that the machine you are operating was built by YOU is something that just might give you wood, it's that damn cool.

taking your time and making sure to do EVERYTHING 100% right is incredibly important - don't rush anything or half-ass it. just do it quick enough that those nice shiny/perfect/clean parts you get back from the machine shop don't rust. :)

18. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Go with a Chrysler 225 slant six. Then just epoxy your tranny to it.

That'll be even safer than making your bumper into an air tank! Yup! :saweet:

19. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

:haha:

20. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status