Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do for my next "fast car" project

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Sep 29, 2002.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

What should I do for my next \"fast car\" project

I realize this is the "chevy" enthusiast website but I would like some non biased opinions on what I should build for my next project. My K5 will be done soon and I am thinking my next ride has to be fast. I have owned a 5.0 LX and a Firebird formula. I liked the 5.0 and all of the bolt on after market parts for it. The formula was TBI and slow as hell, so I am curious if the 5.7 TPI IROC could be built up pretty stout. It seems Jegs/Summit has more 5.0 goodies than 5.7TPI stuff.

OR....This is my real dream vehicle.......a mid 80's S-10 blazer 2WD with a built mouse under the hood. Tweak out the suspension, maybe lower it a little bit..not to the "pimp ride" level or any thing, tweed interior, autometer gauges.. 4.10's and a spool, ladder bars to keep the wheel hop down..Ahhh I am getting wood thinking about it!! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

what do ya think? go with the S-10 blazer huh??

I am not afraid to do some cuttin and weldin eaither.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: What should I do for my next \"fast car\" project

Go for your dream vichile !!!!! Find one with a strait body, but everything else in a needing condition. Gut it and build your dream ride. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Took me a long time to find that Vette that fit my needs, but I did find one with a fried motor/tranny. The enteara was crap from mice. It sat in a barn for almost 10 years. Front clip needed replaced. I've had it going on 4 years now and still haven't driven it. Came close to dropping in 3 motors, but ended up selling each of those befor I got around to dropping any of them in. Current plans are for a monster 383 stroker. Maybe one day I'll get to drive it. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

3. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

I like the s-10 idea. I've heard its been done as much as a 350 in a jeep so it should be pretty straight forward. althogh if you were really goin for a fast ride you could get a 502 and put one in a camaro for the hell of it...should yeild pretty similar results. good luck with whatever you decide to build...and remember to take pics /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Wonder how hard it would be to put a RAT under the hood of a s-10 ?????? That would be fun !!!!!!!

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go for the s-10 there are a few around town here that are awesome and very very quick /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

My buddy had a s-10 pick up with a 500 caddy in it, it was way to much to handle on the street and we never could get it to stop spinning the tires at the track. Great truck for cruising though tap the gas and lite em up.

7. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

go for the s10. i have an 89 thats pretty clean and straight. i lowered it 3" and kept the same sized tires, it looks all-right. not mexie. theyre pretty easy to work on and are cheap to do the swap. your probably gonna have to put more money into the rear suspension than the motor to get it to go fast. mines got a 4.3 and roasts the tires to no end. even on the track it smokes through first and gets second gear scratch. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

yeah i like the idea of the s-10. hmmmm we got a s-10 at the ranch. hmmmm that would be cool to do. have it like with a white color and yellow ghost flames. would be perty cool. later.

jacob

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build a V-8 Syclone...AWD case out of an Astro van, add a real rev happy small block like a 400 with a 327 crank and long rods etc etc. Should run high 12's easy.../forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

10. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Would I ues a regular 4X4 blazer and use the astro tranny/tcase? Thats a good idea....but the syclone/typhoons are not easy to come by nor are they cheap!

11. tRustyK5

Either a regular S-10 blazer or a short box S-10 short box 4x4 to start with. You can lower the front end using the torsion bars and the rear should be straight forward as it's spring under anyways. The Astro AWD case is a viscous coupling with no low range...65% of the power goes to the rear and 35% to the front.

I'd build a small block that wasn't a real low end torque monster...

The Syclone's works so well because there isn't tons of torque off idle so the truck will launch hard without any real traction problems. Once it's moving and the turbo starts to do it's thing traction isn't as much of an issue.

I think it would be a fun project.

Rene

12. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hot Rod Magazine just did a 4.3 build up with a carb setup.
    The little sucker made 500hp with a Paxton on it. Knock it
    back a notch to 450-475hp and it would be very streetable.
    Simple to work on with the carb. My $.02.

13. tRustyK5

All that work and they still have a motor that sounds like a V-6 *gag*

Rene

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have seen the s-10 blazers made into roadsters. There is a company out there that sells the fiberglass kits for them. They look sweet if they're done right. There is a guy around here who has a mildly lowered s-10 with a nasty 400 in it. I think it's a sbc 427 the way the numbers work out. He has it mated up to a th400 and a narrowed ford 9" with 4:56 gears and a posi unit. It's faster than hell! It looks VERY nice. It's an older gentleman that put a lot of $$ into it. I'd own one! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I like the S-10 idea also.

16. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

So do you guys think a blazer would be better than say an S-10 pickup? I think the extra weight in the rear would help control the traction issue, but to be honest 2WD S-10 blazers are not easy to come by, at least not in the last month or so. But the 2wd pickups are sooooo cheap and they are all over.

Would ladder bars and a spool be enough to control the wheel hop/traction issue? I could also relocate the battery and do a fuel cell in the bed. There is one that drives by my house daily. I live at a T intersection and he was turning up my street, when my buddy gave him the signal to "light 'em up". He connected all the way up my street and only barked the tires going from 1-2 then from 2-3. This thing is FAST! He dont have any fancy suspension in the rear, just a 10 bolt and the old school traction bars...I'll keep an eye out for him and take a pic!

17. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

run ladderbars and air bags. you can individually adjust each side with the air bags. and build a 327 for it. the thing will rev to no end and doesn't have so much torque that your just gonna roast the tires. and tub it as much as u can. the wider the better.

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd look around till ya find that 2 wheel drive S-10 Blazer. I think the extra wieght over the rear wheels would be a plus for traction, and if you decide to install a big stereo system, you have a perfect place for a subwoofer box. (Also would be good for more wieght over rear wheels). /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I've got some extra parts left over from my "If I'm not careful, it is never going to be finished in my lifetime" 66 Shortbox ProStreet project. We could tub a S-10, or a Blazer & put a 4-Link under it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

20. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Yummy...4 link /forums/images/icons/grin.gif