Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do? Get a k30 or f350 or keep my toyota???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by protechk5, Jun 13, 2006.

?

what should I do????????

Poll closed Sep 20, 2006.
  1. 05 and up stupid duty with 6.0, 4x4 with a programmer and stacks and lift

14.3%
  2. a 6.2 k30, with a lift and 35-37's

21.4%
  3. keep my beaner

64.3%
  1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Ok so Iam a broke college kid, I got like at least 3 more years or school left (should only be 2). I currently drive a 1995 Toyota T-100 SR5. Its not bad, its got 135,000 miles on it, with 0 problems ever, my dad was the orignally owner who changed the oil every 3000 miles, replaced the timing belt every 60,000 miles, you know that type of guy, but he bought a 06 GMC 1500 so he gave it to me and I sold my 2000 ZR2. Theres been no problems with it at all, and I even just about totaled it when I was 16, I took it out and hit a tree, my dad just about killed me. Im 100% that it will probably go another 100,000 miles with no major issues. It's 4x4, auto, can hold 6 people, but the people in the back have no room.

Heres my dilemma, I dont really like driving a Toyota, and I want a bigger truck. I either want a

1. Newer 05 and up f250 or 350 stupid duty, regular cab 8 foot bed with no options at all except the 6.0 and 4x4, which new would be around $28,000msrp, so I could get a used one with 50,000 miles for under $20,000. I know its a Ford, but the first thing Id to it would be put a bigass Chevy sticker on the back of it, then a programmer and stacks, and then maybe a 4-6" lift. I figured Id get probably around 15-16mpg around town, which is the same as I get with my 3.4 in the t100 (toyota trucks dont get good gas mileage). I think I could get at least $9,000 for my truck now, and then I plan on selling my mower ($2000) and dirtbike ($2000) at the end of the summer, so I would just take a loan on the rest.

2. Get a k30 with a 6.2. I'll get as good or better gas mileage with that then my t100, but it will probably not last as long. Repairs will be likely. Its got to be my favorite truck by far tho. I could sell my t100 and buy a k30 with money left over. But I kinda just want a truck that will be good for DD, after I get a real job then Ill build a wheeler.

3. Keep the beaner and save my money for after college, if I dont spend it all on my gf and beer.

Oh BTW, I have a girl friend so thats a huge money pit right there, but Iam studying construction engineering, so likely my job will require me to have a pickup, and I will probably have a gas allowance tho.

After having a lifted k5, and like every single one of my friends has 35's or bigger I just can not stand driving my truck now.

So should I get this
    [​IMG]

or keep my t100
    [​IMG]

and we all know what a badass k30 looks like

Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

6.0's are crap...this i've heard on many occasions. You gonna buy a furd diesel, buy a 7.3.

In the end...keep the yota. Better mileage and it's paid for.

3. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

is that your k5? and do you still have it? if so, why the hell would you want some other giant to drive around all the time. I voted for the SD just because i think stacks look cool. But I say keep the Toy.

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

nope i sold that

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Take it from a fellow broke college student, dont go doing something like this... Just keep what you have since its paid for, no sense in stretchin your funds thin especially while in school..

6. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

if its not broke, dont fix it.

7. 81K5GUY

81K5GUY 1/2 ton status

I think you know that answer already but just dont like it lol.Seriously keep the paid for truck and save the $ up and build you a nice rig after school.Plus gas isnt getting any cheaper.

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Keep the toyota until you are out of school and have a steady income. You said it yourself that its a solid truck thats been well maintained and reliable, so dont go out and buy another moneypit. You also say that you are a broke college kid, yet you want to take on a big monthly payment? And you can pretty much forget about finding an '05 or newer PSD for under $20K, unless its wrecked. Even stripped down trucks go for a pretty penny, and are very difficult to find used.