Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do on the 205 before reinstall?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mkmiller, Apr 17, 2002.

1. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

I just pulled the automatic 205 out of my '69 parts blazer to go in my '71(203). Are there any gaskets or other items I should replace before I reinstall it? I don't want to rebuild it as it was working fine in the '69.
    Thanks,
    matthew

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

More than likely, it is not necessary to do anything. If you feel compelled, you could install new output seals, remove-inspect-reseal the tailshaft and other bolted on parts. I personally would clean it up and reinstall it just as it is...seeing as how it works fine.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

"What should I do to a 205 before install?"

Easy. Send it to me and get a different t-case! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Change the oil in it and look for metal flakes. I noticed on mine that the idler gear bearings were chipping and there were chunks of them in the bottom of the case. If the oil looks good you shouldnt have anything to worry about....

5. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

thanks folks! I think I'll just pressure wash it and put it back in. I changed the oil in it a week ago before pulling it and it looked good. It only had approximately 8 miles a year put on it for the last 15 years. It was used as a hunting vehicle only!
    Matthew

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I heard to make your life easy is to attach the front drive shaft before it's inplace.I tried to replace the front u-joints on my 205 equipped 71 Blazer and ended up quitting because there was no room to remove the bolts(tranny and exhaust in place,prob. easy if they're not in place.)