Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What Should I Do? Please help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eclipse, Jan 26, 2005.

1. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Ok so bare with me here... basically I need help on which truck to spend money on first.

So the first truck is... My 1985 K10 daily driver with 4in lift and 33in tires. It has a rebuilt 4bolt 350, sm456, np208 and 10bolts with high gears... 3.08 I believe. In town I dont even use 3rd (assuming you say, LOW, 1, 2, 3) and on the freeway at 60mph in 3rd I'm barely even pulling 2000 rpm. My gearing seems way too high and not good for towing. So the most logical thing to me seems to be get some 3/4ton axles with some 4.10 gears. No problem right... so heres my delimia. At my local tire store I have credit limit there from my previous set of wheels and tires. I can purchase a new set of 16x10 8 lug wheels (same style I have in 15x10s) and some new tires, probably some 315s.... or!!!

There is my 77 K20 with a 7in lift and bushwacker fender flares. It had 38x15.50x16.5 gumbo mudders when I got the truck two years ago, they were brand new and sold them. Now it has some very very worn 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear Wranglers. I would like to take this truck to some local mud bogs this year and I would like a new set of boggers. I've found some 38.5x15x16.5 boggers that I know it will clear no problem.

So I'm not sure if I could finally put 3/4ton axles and new wheel/tires on my 85 dd, or get some new boggers for my beater... ugh!!!!!!!!!!!

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would get the Boggers and be happy with 2000 rpm on the highway. My K20 is over 3000 rpm and people still blow by me!

3. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

alot of the highways around here are on hills, and it doesn't pull hills to well, plus my intown mileage just sucks. I get better mileage intown with my 77...

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Does the '85 still have stock axles? Maybe the gear ratio is on the glove box sticker. You may have 2.73 gears?

5. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

stock axles and it says 3.08 in the glove box. The gearing was "ok" when I bought it completly stock with 31s. But I noticed a diff with the 33s. It almost feels like you should start it in low and not first.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

post some price they wanna charge. If its more than what Summit can do for you, don't use credit at a tire store if you can possibly avoid it. I got my chrome-steel wagon wheels from Summit for like $35 each, shipping was free. You can get aluminum rims (mickey thompson classic IIs) for right around $100 each if you want aluminum rims.

why not sell your DD and make your 3/4 ton rig into your DD? Use the $ from the sale to buy your new tires.

j

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

that makes his dd 9 years older than his dd right now.

If you have enough to get 4 or 5 38.5" boggers you can probably afford junkyard axles, 4.10's, and boggers. maybe start rippin out rear ends on rigs you think had **** done to em at the junkyard or just buy 4.10's out of a catalog. with the junkyard axles and 4.10's from a catalog you should still have enough to get a "good condition" set of used boggers.

8. jekbrown

whats wrong with an old DD?

j

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I would leave the dd the way it is. That's what 1st gear is for ;) You could put 38's on there with your gears and still get it rolling in 1st :grin: Saves ya a bit of money that way. :waytogo:

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personal opinion, the daily drive should come first. You need the DD too get to and from work.

11. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

dirtwarrior17 - i'm not sure what your talking about... I mean I know what you mean about junkyard axles. The boggers would go on my 77 K20 which already has 3/4ton axles and 4.10s, so it just needs tires.

I'm not gonna sell my 85 dd. It was a graduation present and I've put too much work into it. But it would be nicer to have lower gears on it for towing, and if I had lower gears I'd run 35s instead of 33s

12. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I agree 100%.

Also, don't take this the wrong way.. granted I have no clue about the credit program at yer tire store...but just thinking to myself...if a tire store is willing to give anyone credit for there products..somehow they are screwing you and getting.

13. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Well I end up paying more in the end on some interest, but I'm horrible at trying to save up money.

14. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I was the same way with money, saw somethin had to have it didnt care how I paid for it..... but the military tought me how to live on a budget and it worked well cuz now I have more money for my truck. lol. I'd love some new boggers but I hafta do other mods first. :D

15. jekbrown

have your paycheck direct deposited and your bank take $100 from it per month or $200 or whatever. Once you have tire money, just buy them outright. Paying interest on tires is retarded.

j