Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should i do to my blazer for mudding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89K5mudder, Apr 18, 2003.

1. 89K5mudder

89K5mudder Registered Member

I just bought a 89 blazer and am looking for some advice on what i should do to it. I will be using it as a daily driver as well as for mudding. What size lift should i put on it, and what size and type of tires should i put on it. What brand lift would you suggest, I wont need alot of flex and i will want a decent ride on the street. Also what should i upgrade or beef up on my blazer.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

it depends a lot on you, your driving style, what kind of mud(sounds dumb I know), and budget. Nm budget is number one. Personallty I could drive a big rig with tires that take me all over the road daily but some people couldn't.

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

For a weekend warrior, for starters and not having to swap out 1/2 the rig, Id say a 6in and 35 Boggers. When you want or need to step up you can get a body lift and stick on 38s. Many will say DONT do a body lift, but Ive had them in all my rigs, over almost 20 yrs, and NEVER had a problem.

Alot depends on where you live, for me, most TRAILS are under water, and the mud holes are GNARLY /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif so I built tall to get thru deep water crossings.

To go bigger than 35s, plan on axle upgrades. Even 35s are a bit of a stretch when run HARD. Move all your vents, tranny Tcase and axles as high up as possible, get creative and run tubing and hose all over if need be to get them up HIGH!

Fill us in on what YOU see needing.

4. 89K5mudder

Well for starters i live in Wisconsin and i wont be doing to many deep water crossings. I will be using the truck for a daily driver and just using it in the mud on the weekends from time to time for now until i get it built up better. Do you think i could get by with a 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift. What size tires could i run with that set up? What do you suggest doing to the axles i have now to beef them up some until i can get the money to swap axles? Will 3/4 ton axles bolt right in to my blazer? Should i get lockers and if so what kind. What company do you suggest getting the lift from.

5. 77k5bogger

77k5bogger Registered Member

What part of wisconsin ya from? I have 4" suspension and 3" body on mine and i just got 36" swamper TSls and i drive it daily and go muddin and trail riding on the weekends. Its nice kinda a rough ride but nice. I also have my rear and welded and a lockright locker in the front. Its kinda bad in the snow but i got used to it. If your close to winneconne we gotta get together and wheel sometime, Derek /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Pure Insanity

OK lets look at this, 4+3=7. (like ya didnt know that already /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) Save yourself the extra work for 1 inch, and just go 6in lift. W/ 6inches alone and fender cutting you can stab on 38X12.50s TSLs.

I would go 6in springs in front, shackle flip in the rear w/ a 2in block, (or 2in rear springs) and 35s if I were just starting. It makes for a decent size, and a good driver.

For pics of what a 6 and 3 w/ 38s look like, go to my profile, click the link and look at the pics of mine before the last round of mods. Ill see if I can find some of my buddies w/ 4 and 3 and 38s next to mine, but I had lifted 2 inches more so I was quite a bit bigger. At present Im at 11 inches.

Axles from a K20 (3/4 ton) or K30 (1 ton) single rear wheel will bolt in. OK let me correct myself, I am 99% sure the 1 ton SW will bolt right in. I know the dually axle wont, but I think the SW will. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Dont waste your time or money on beefing up the 1/2 ton stuff thats in there now. Some will argue that, but by stepping up you get stronger everything in the rear and bigger brakes all around for less than what it costs to buy the alloy shafts for the rear. BUT you trade off ground clearance and weight for the 14 bolt full floater.

AVOID at all costs the factory Gov Lock. Get an open rear axle and drop in a Detroit locker or weld it up. The Gov Lock carrier cant have a Detroit installed in it.

7. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Axles from a K20 (3/4 ton) or K30 (1 ton) single rear wheel will bolt in. OK let me correct myself, I am 99% sure the 1 ton SW will bolt right in. I know the dually axle wont, but I think the SW will.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 1 ton SRW rear will not go in without some mods. Spring perches and shock mounts need moved. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. Pure Insanity

Thanx for correcting me Tim. I was pretty sure it would but was second guessing myself. I knew at least the DRW had to have the stuff moved but couldnt remember the SWR.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I wont need alot of flex and i will want a decent ride on the street.

[/ QUOTE ] I plan on BDS 6" springs with ORD greasable shackles up front. (Currently have Superlift, but want something alittle softer) with ORD 4" shackle flip and Tuff Country 3" springs in the rear. My rig is a daily driver / trails mostly truck. I want to get a the best ride quality I can. I'm also looking into better seats. I'm thinking 500+ mile roadtrips each way. I won't have the MPG's, so might aswell enjoy the ride. 38" Ground Hawg radials should be fun for those roadtrips.

10. 89K5mudder

You dont live to far from me. I live in Random Lake which is by Sheboygan. Once i get a lift and some other stuff i could come up by you. How are those tires for daily driving. Do you get alot of noise and do they where down fast. I am thinking of getting those after i get the lift but i heard they where down fast on the street.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

1 ton, 502, 44's Yeah BABY!!!

12. 77k5bogger

77k5bogger Registered Member

They are alright for driving daily, they are noisy and if ya keep em at a good air pressure and rotate them oftem they will wear good. I like them alot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Don't forget this is your daily driver. As the mods go on, the mileage and driveability go down (generally). There's no way I could afford to run 35" boggers with a 45 minute commute in bumper to bumper traffic. If the commute is long, find out what kind of mileage these guys are getting after their mods.

14. 89K5mudder

Yes i know that is whay i decided to go with a 4" lift and 33/12.5/15 BFG Mud terrains