Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do to prepare for....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Aug 6, 2002.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I migth be taking a trip to California from Alaska soon. I have never been on a long trip with my truck to be honest I have never driven this truck for more than two hours as I live in a town with only 20 miles of road. So I am wondering what I should tdo to prepare my truck for either adn 800 nile trip or an 1900 mile trip not sure which route I will be taking yet. How would you prepare your truck for a long trip like this???

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if it was me i would change all the flouids ie tranny motor diffs radiator and such and also give it a complet tuneup new cap rotor wires plugs belts and such /forums/images/icons/smile.gif also have your tires rotated befor if it has been a while /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

And I would do all that well before the trip , so if you screwed something up it'll break before your on the road... For instance ,I wouldn't tear out your transfer case 2 weeks before leaving for Utah... Only a dumbass would do such a thing...LOL /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Get phone numbers for everyone you can along the way. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

ooh good idea, the Rene' method.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Take the time to check every fluid and change the ones that should be changed, mudhog nailed it pretty good. When I drove to Texas I basically checked the oil and headed South East...but I drive my truck daily and know it very well. The two issues I had on the trip were not the preventable type. My alternaotr decided it had had enough just after leaving Rocko's place in Round Rock TX. Fortunately it was giving me clues for a while and rocko had a spare he didn't mind parting with.

After finally swapping it a couple of hours south of Dallas I got a jump from DBlazer and his lovely wife and they put me up for the night/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

The other problem I had was the alternator pivot bolt broke outside of Laramie Wyoming...but my toolbox saved me. I had a 5" C-clamp I used to hold the alternator so there was tension on the belt. I highly recomend taking a lot of tools and junk. Duct tape, bailing wire, extra fuses and some wire, fuel line and lots of spare clamps can all come in handy. I managed to drive about 400 miles with the clamp holding my alternator in place and made it to Twiztid's place where he got me all fixed up in no time./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Get a pre-paid phone card too. I never thought of it, but Gandolf did and hooked me up with 250 minutes worth./forums/images/icons/cool.gif I think the phone card helped more than anything else.

Post your intended route and see who lives along it. There are a lot of west coast CK5ers between you and Cali and most people will do what they can to help. Hell stop by and visit if you want!

PM me if you're coming through BC, I live 20 minutes from the major border crossings here...

Rene

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

like rene did get peoples phone numbers hell im in portland along with about 20 others in this area if your passing through and need something id be more than happy to help if i can give me a pm if your going through this area and ill give you my number

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'll meet you anywhere along I-5 if there is a problem, no questions asked give me a PM.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure you coordinate your trip so that you are in our area (Seattle) when we have a club meeting! : )

I wouldn't mind meeting up with you if that won't work out, maybe grab some food, heck, you could even crash at my place if you like.

Be sure to repost with the exact dates!

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

What's your final destination?

11. JimmyJuneau

I have looked it over and doen some numbers I think the cheapest way is for me to have my truck barged to seattle then drive to stcokton thats my destination. Befroe I leave I will get phone numbers from you guys. Just in case I think I can make the trip in a day well that is with no break downs.

12. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Not a bad drive then.

Plenty of Nor Cal guys around, and very helpful.

13. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Have you considered one of the Alaska Ferrys? docks at Bellingham, WA which is 90 mi N of Seattle.

14. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

There are a bunch of us Nor-Cal Big Dawgs in Northern Cali....You'll be driving right through where most of us live when ya come through Cali. If ya send me a PM, I'll give ya my phone #. There are also 4 or 5 of us actually in the Stockton/Lodi area. So we have ya covered for whatever may happen in Cali.

15. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Hell ya man there are like 4 of us here in lodi (about 7 miles north of stockton...) where in stockton are you headed...I can pm you my # too just pm me ...
    When is the trip happening....maybe us nor cal guys can take you wheeling around here..mike /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

you may be taking the ferry then i assume???

what's the cost of that, always wanted to do that...
    where does it leave from in alaska?

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

they're all stuck in LODI again... Sorry had to...
    when are you going, also PM me and I'll help if I can.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Here is a pic of Rene's alt. field fix. Just goes to show, necesity is the mother of invention - pretty clever fix that did the job.

Rene's busted alternator field fix

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL...desperation is the mother of invention! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I still can't believe I drove 400 miles with that clamp holding the alternator and never lost a belt! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

There's just something about being on the side of the road in Wyoming with something like that busted...I musta been 40 miles from the nearest phone or town. Thanks again for getting me all fixed up Eric!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

20. JimmyJuneau

Yeah I looked into the ferry it is more expensive than if I put my truck on the barge then fly down. The trip might happen in september not sure yet. I am taking a vacation at the end of this month to go down there and look for work then Ill know more about the trip.