Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do?? Transsmision help needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by elkboy, Mar 1, 2001.

1. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I pulled a 700R4/208 out of my 84 blazer project to make room for a TH350/205. I made the swap because I want to run 39's and I didn't think the 700R4/208 would hold up very long and I needed to put new drivlines in after a axle swap anyway. The 700R4 worked fine before I pulled it out, but the guy I sold it to says it's broken. He says it won't shift out of 2nd, but he's been driving it for two weeks with 35's. Could this be a adjustment or computer problem ( lockup torque converter)? Should I be giving this guy his money back? I feel bad he's having problems, but my guess is there is something else wrong unless it suddenly decided to fall apart. Any ideas on the tranny problem would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

2. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Check T.V. cable adjustment, this controls shift points on the 700r4.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

They will shift gears perfectly fine whether the computer is working or not. Stuck in 2nd would likely be a sticky valve, leaking seal, something along those lines. Driving for two weeks with the thing only in 2nd gear? Sounds more like operator error to me. Did it EVER shift into 2nd for him?

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

4. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I have not gotten a straight story from the guy. He's telling me the bands and clutches are shot, but if that were the case wouldn't it be slipping. He said it would shift into third at first at 3,00 rpm, but know it will only go into 2nd. I think he has messed up the TV cable adjustment or could it be the controller for the lockup torque converter is bad? Any body know what the three wires coming from the engine compartment connecting to the side of the transmission do? I don't want to play mechanic for this guy, but iIwould not feel right selling him a bad tranny.

Thanks.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As much as 700R4's seem to depend on that TV cable, I'd be willing to bet he doesn't have it adjusted right. Driving on a tranny that won't go any higher than 2nd gear seems to be the type of thing the not-too-bright would do. Maybe the fluid level...

Of course, I'm assuming the guy IS playing straight with you and not trying to fleece his money back from you.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, if clutches are shot, he won't move, depending on the gear. You'll just get a lot of high revving, and slipping going into the gears. The 3 wires are the torque converter clutch. Even with those disconnected, the tranny will still shift correctly. If it ISN'T hooked up, then you can use the story that the 700 will self destruct, and that it was his fault, ESPECIALLY if he wasn't running a tranny cooler. Call a local transmission shop, I'd be willing to bet that they (and lots of people on here) would agree that running the 700-R4 without the TCC hooked up, will burn up the tranny. The truth of the matter is, that unhooking the TCC causes more heat internally, and with the added heat, and no added cooling (auxiallary tranny cooler) capacity, you can overheat and fry internals. The 700 is very good at doing this.

Tell him the TV thing, if that doesn't work, as in he actually did set it up correctly, and you have to meet him, crawl under the truck without saying word one and check the TCC connector on the side of the tranny. If its disconnected, and no auxiallary cooler, tell the guy to go away and leave you alone.

If I am not mistaken, 2nd gear IS the band basically. If the band is shot, no 2nd gear. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but thats why the aftermarket and Corvette servos firm up the 1-2 shift, they apply the 2nd gear band faster/firmer.

If you pulled the tranny working from your vehicle, you may feel bad, but you KNOW it was working when you pulled it. The guy should know the risks buying a used tranny, especially when hes running 35's and a 700R4!

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

7. redbeast

redbeast Registered Member

He is right 2nd gear is just a band.. the connection on the side is for the tcc/esd even with it disconnected it will still shift through all 4 but it will not get lockup... I suppect the TV valve is stuck. Try this, with the engine running in park or neut, tv cable still connected to the carb .Pop the cable like a chaulk line (pull it out then quickly let it go) do this several times . Also with the engine off open the throttle all the way open and push the release on the cable it should pop out quite a bit .. This will give a base TV setting.It should start going through the gears at that piont, but it may shift to soon. If thats the case then start pushing the cable back into the addjuster a couple clicks at a time tell the shift piont are were you wont them.. Hope this helps .... RGee.......

1985 Blazer, 305 soon to be a TBI 350, 700r4, msd ign, 3.43s, headers, 31x10.50x15s

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

One more idea to check. Could it be that the linkage from the shifter is not setup properly? Maybe the dial shows "D" while he's actually in "2"?

Just an idea.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

9. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like the guy is trying to take you. Nothing wrong with him trying to get you to split the difference on a repair, if he paid you for a new-like or "rebuilt" trans, but if you didn't, and this guy knows as much as he acts like, then he should be able to rebuild it himself for cheap, so the cost of the case and hardware inside is still good. It is cool you are being cool to the guy and trying to find info for him, but he comes off to you like he knows what he is talking about, and if he really did know, he would have been able to diagnos it better himself.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General