Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do?...Updated...weird

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, May 19, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Finals week I had an employer **** me over bigtime. Called me 6 days from when I was supposed to start and said the budget and therefore the position had been cut, sorry for any inconvenience, good luck. Thanks...would have been summer-long, $12 an hour, full time, riding a desk. Easy, lots of money, etc.

My current situation: Dad's a doctor, one of his patients is the hiring manager at a firm in town that pays well, has normal hours, etc. Told my dad that I should definitely stop down and he'll probably have a job for me. He's on a cruise until late next week and I already handed my application in. Earliest I'll know anything is next Friday. I've handed in 20+ apps since I've been home. I hold my current Target receiving job that runs from 4-10 a.m. One of the places I applied at called and offered me a job. 4-10 p.m., 30 hours a week, $7 an hour. I couldn't work both jobs and have a life at the same time. I REALLY want to get a job with Ferminich (aforementioned firm) but I also need money pronto. I have a truck that's falling apart, a buggy to build, a car to buy, and a girlfriend that lives too far away.

What should I do? I've considered working Target and the other job for next week and seeing what happens with Ferminich, but if I do get hired at Ferminich I'm gonna be screwing the other employer over hardcore. If I don't take the second job and don't get hired by Ferminich I'm screwed when it comes to those two opportunities, and will have to hope for someone else to call. If I take the second job and don't get hired, I'm stuck working two nasty jobs for a couple weeks to hope that something else happens.

I don't wanna totally screw an employer because I know what it's like to be on the receiving end, but I need money, and the opportunities in my hometown are pretty limited. Any advice?

Last edited: May 19, 2006
  2. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

Show me the MONEY! Or in this case, show you the money. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. What are you more concerned about, the 4-10pm $7 hour employer getting his feelings hurt, or paying for the sh!t that you need/want? If the opportunities are limited in your town, I'm sure they won't have a problem filling the position if/when you leave for aforementioned firm.

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Same boat here (except the girlfriend) i have a few apps out and will take whatever comes first (still gonna keep present job) and work both till "the one I want" calls back. its all about the benjamins. if i have to "screw over" someone--oh well---you wernt paying me enough.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I agree. If you need the money that bad, take the 2nd job. Then i the firm comes through, go there for work. If not, tough it out and keep putting apps out... Hopefully something better will pop up....

Is the 4-10pm job place somewhere you may end up working down the road?

5. mikey_d05

Talked to my dad and friend and you guys and I'm gonna work both until something better comes along...hopefully next week. 12 hour days with 6 hour shifts that are 6 hours apart kinda sucks, but I worked straight 12 hour days last year and I'm still alive.

You're right on the $7/hr employer getting their feelings hurt. They have the right to terminate me at any time without notice, and I have the right to quit at any time without notice. A two week courtesy really isn't a big deal when it comes to this level of work.

After next week I'll be able to order my motor mounts, radiator, B-52's, and make my winch mount so I can finally get this project rolling.

6. mikey_d05

So Parker Automation (the original company that screwed me over) just called and said a bunch of things have happened in the past couple weeks and it's possible they now have a position for me. He's going to talk to his boss on Monday and call me at 3 and said there's a very good chance this time...keeping my fingers crossed but trying not to get my hopes up.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Cool Beans! then you wouldn't have to work two funky hour'd shifts! :thumb: