Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do with all my trucks? Any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Storm Trooper, May 6, 2005.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    We guys, I torn on what I should do.
    This spring is time to clean house and I have way to many trucks around.
    I hate to sell some of them because they could make a good buggy or project
    truck. I don't have the time to build them all into something and I could not
    only use the money but like I said, I need to clean house. Any Ideas on what
    you would do if they were yours?

The 1st one is my 76 Scout. It has been plowing great for me until this year.
    I belive that it spun a cam bearing, has low oil pressure and won't keep the
    valves pumped up now which causes it to foul plugs out really quick.
    Rebuilding the motor is $$$$ and I think I should just get a newer truck.
    What do you think?
    [​IMG]

Next is my 80 Ford E-350 460 4x4 Van. Mechanicaly it is in great shape.
    TC & Tranny have been rebuilt, the motor runs good and I have dumped a
    ton of $$ into it over the past years. Cancer has taken over most of it.
    Just so you know, I have a 96 E-350 that I had turned into a 4x4 a few years
    ago and it cost me $9,500 to have done. They are hard to come by and crank
    it the snow. It's a beast. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

The last one is a 81 E-350 460 4x4. Same as the one above but it is in better
    shape and I have still used it as a back up now and then. Still has the bins
    and materials in it. It could be fixed back up and repainted but it would be a
    lot of work to get nice again. No employee takes good care of there trucks.
    [​IMG]

I currently have some good looking vans that are out making money so these
    just sit for the most part.
    I have the 96 E-350 460 4x4
    a 89 E-350 460 4x4
    and a 2003 GMC 2500 Savana AWD.
    [​IMG]
    Any ideas????? :confused:

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Take the drivetrain out of one of the 4x4 vans and put it in the scout. A 460 4x4 scout would be cool. That is assuming the scout is patchable with the cancer it has. If not build a non-sheetmetal gang rig out of one of them. That way you can have the best of both worlds with the Trooper and a beater.

Harley

3. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Demolition derby at your place for the meet and greet?

4. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

i like the wheels on the POS van. :D i would keep it until it has a hole in the floor. Those are a pain to work on with the motor being underneath the windshield.

Keep the scout. Do something to it, that stacey on trucks would do.

5. Storm Trooper

Belive me, I've thought of something like that. No time and can't spend the cash on it.
    The Scout would make a great wheeler but more work. Remeber, I need to clean house not build more.
    I thought of taking the body off one of the vans and putting a ranger on top.
    I had one of those too but I just sold it to my son for $50. Maybe a one ton 4x4 LTD? :grin:

John, your a nut.......not happening. I still like all of them too much.

Fierospeeder, I have another set for the other van that have a few hundred miles on them (cost me about $700 for the tires) I just took them off so they would sit there and rot.

I just don't know what would be best. Cut off the back and flat bed one?
    Just take it wheelin and beat the living S.... out of it?

6. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

I like John's idea! :D

I call dibs on the 2003 Savana van!

Last edited: May 7, 2005
  7. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Whatever happened to the days when a man would sacrifice for the greater good of his friends? Demolition Derbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :D

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Is the Scout auto or manual? If auto, I'll give you a good 440/727. Change out output shafts, weld up some motor mounts, and plow through mountains.The Fords should have the double hump oil pans that are required for Mustang transplants, maybe you could post the motors on a Mustang web site. Bottom line, if you don't need it anymore, get rid of it.

9. Storm Trooper

Yeah, if I do anything to one of them, it will be the scout. I might pull the motor 345ci and come up with something for it. Good running Scouts sell for some good cash and it would make a great crawler too. I'd like to see it with some 35's and a 4-6" lift.
    I thought about putting a chevy SB in it but the addaptors would cost big.
    Yes it's a automatic (rebuilt).

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

tough decisions...

I would think the scout would not be too difficult to find another motor for--lots of IHC school busses with them in junkyards...if its not that rusty I'd fix it..

Or you could put the plow off the scout onto the rustiest 4x4 econoline,and sell the scout as a rebuildable or for parts(or scrap if it has no sentimental value)...it would be a shame to scrap the 4x4 vans,being so rare and unique!--I'd look for a rust free econoline and swap everything over!...

You are in the same boat as I am--too many vehicles,too little time and cash to use them all--my 81 G10 van hasn't moved in over a year,and I doubt I'll ever register it again,I'm sure the brakes,steel lines,gas tank,and a few other things will fail as soon as its on the road again--I've had it since 1990,a lot of memories in that thing,with all the trips I took in it--I hate to scrap it,I spent 500 bucks swapping in a V8 a few years ago,but I think it was a waste--the motor runs only so-so,and the body is getting cancerous (again!)--its a storage shed right now!--since I'm unemployed,I have no cash to drive the 82 K20,or my 79 C10 much at all either..gas prices are KILLING me,and diesel fuel costs even more.. :frown1:

-I started the 82 for the first time since march yesterday--and discovered a mother cat with 6 kittens were living under the toolbox in the bed! :mad: --I barely scrape up the cash to keep them all insured,and since I got the 95 Ford Contour,my insurance bill went up even more...so I'm going to have to sacrifice something,I cant keep all of them...it sucks,but I have no choice...

I'm suprised to town hasn't squawked about me having 2 unregistered vehicles in he yard yet(my 74 is just a shell,the nose off,parts scattered all over the place,and the bed full of scrap iron!--looks like a junkyard!--and my town usually is right on your case if the see stuff like that-- :frown1:

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

ship em all, and start all over.

12. Storm Trooper

I don't get it?
    Do mean sell them all?
    or ship them where?????
    diesel4me,
    I understand were you are at. The good thing is that my vans all run good.
    The scout is the only one that is down.
    I still think it's worth a grand with the plow but....
    I also think the vans are worth $1500-2000 or so not counting the $700 in
    new tires. Maybe I'm way off but there still good trucks that just need some TLC.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

yes, sell them.

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Ditto! Would be cheaper for parts after that too.

15. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I've been through similar situations to what you're going through. I had to think about what I wanted more than what I had in order to part with things.

I sold a 327SBC, 402BBC, and an NV4500 to pull together enough cash to get a decent family vehicle ('84 Burb).

I gave a '66 C10 to a good friend who was going to use it on his recreational property.

I decided I wanted a welder, so I ended up trading a '57 Suburban Napco 4x4 for a welder and a few other things.

A buddy wanted to build a classic flatdeck truck... I convinced him to make one out of my wrecks for next to nothing. He used a '60 chevy cab , and a '72 longhorn rolling chassis from my inventory. Its his daily driver. Just seeing it and getting to drive it now and then is payment enough :D

Of the two older vans and the scout, I think you can part with all of them unless you want to follow through on the scout/buggy project. I suspect the '89 is getting close to retirement (that style E-vans are on their way out at my work) so it can fullfill backup, parts-donor, or offroad-living-room duty when that time comes. I found my real goals and intentions were significantly obscured by the amount of stuff I had. You have three of essentially the same thing (the vans). It only makes sense to eliminate the spare spares ;)

If I were you, look in the wanted ads. There are some die-hards looking for the 4wd vans... even if its to convert one they already own. If you're going to post ads, pricing it higher than the sum of the juicey parts will attract the right buyers.

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd sell them all. You'll hate yourself for it(any auto enthusiast really hates to even see a problem child go), but it will just be better.

17. Storm Trooper

Except this one I forgot-
    [​IMG]
    This is the one I'm fixing up slowly. It's also a 89 E-350 460 4x4 and not the one I mentioned above. I have two 89's.
    Looks like I might need to clean them up and sell some this summer.
    I also have my wifes Mountaineer, a 26ft enclosed trailer, the trailer in the picture above and a two place snow mobile trailer. Too much stuff.
    My house is for sale and if it sells, I'm gonna have a lot to do. :deal: :1zhelp:

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

"I have the 96 E-350 460 4x4" .......I know exactly what youre talking about, the van conversions. Those are bank dude. I would have grabbed that van up in a heartbeat if the timing were right, i also like the 2003 chevy. I already have a van, but, as you know, ive been expanding rapidly.
    I cant afford it right now, but, give it a while, if you havent sold any , and i just might. :)

19. Storm Trooper

I wanna see it sometime. Got any pics?