Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do with my exhaust?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Aug 10, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I currently have a stock 305 with all the stock exhaust, except the muffler which was recently replaced. My exhaust manifolds connect via a Y-pipe to a single pipe, then into the cat, then a single pipe from the cat to the muffler, then dual pipes out of the muffler.

This Spring I am going with a new 350 motor. I don't want to dump thousands into the exhaust, but I do want to build it right. This is also my daily driver in a major metro area (Dallas). I need to keep it as street legal as possible. I was looking at some basic headers (with AIR). Should I ditch the Y-pipe and single cat/muffler for dual cats and dual mufflers? If I do that, will I still be legal? Or should I still Y and get a better single cat/muffler combo?

And what recommendations do you guys have for a daily driver/mild off-roader for headers (with AIR), cats, and mufflers that are reasonably priced but will give me some added power?

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    PM me for a great deal on blinker fluid! Best price on the net!

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Heres what i think
    Get the Edelbrock TES system. This Includes Headers and a new Y pipe.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html>http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html</a>
    Then put on a new Catco Converter.
    Follow everything up with The Edelbrock RPM or Flowmaster Force 2 Exahust system.
    This will build plenty of power and still be smog leagal.
    All this should be under 600 dollars. And should bolt right up to the stock mounts.

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Here in Denver they aren't "allowed" to install duals all the way back. I even asked if we could put cats on both sides, answer was no, EPA rules say the cats don't get hot enough to activate that way. You'll have to check with your local people there. Any muffler install shop should be able to tell you. Good Luck.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

You can get a waiver from the emmisions tech place downtown. I have one saying that it is legal for my truck to have true duals, w/2 cats. This is because my truck was originally equipped w/true duals on the diesel. I ended up going single anyway, and am quite happy w/it.

You need to contact your state referee to determine what is legal for you.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

5. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Thanks Pete, I'm goin back and forth on this one. I'll do something when I finish the 400 for the Blazer. I just installed duals in the Camaro.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated