Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do with this Spare 454?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ddragggon, Oct 15, 2001.

1. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I pose a question to all, looking for some direction on what I should do with my spare 454.

first, some background history on this 454:
    this is the engine out of my Parts suburban (73 C10,) which I purchased when I needed a transmission for my 77 C20 suburban. this thing has some front end damage on it, but other then that, I drove it home, with only 1 problem ( hood flew up while I was driving it, and had to latch it better) the previous owner, who was on the verge of tears as he handed it, and the paper work over to me, was titled owner since 1980, had just rebuilt the engine june of 2000, and the transmission september 2000. the transmission is still running fine, and the engine is sitting cozy in the parts truck, out at my friend Johns place. I have plans to strip the interior and windows for my 73 K20 super cheyene, which needs all the goodies to make it a supercheyenne again, since someone ripped them all out to put in some really crappy interior work.

the question posed is: what should I do with this engine, so here's the niffty magic Poll script...

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1003168977Ddragggon">

my454 what should I do?
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="1">put it in my K20, along with bigger transmission and axles
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="2">sell it to you (send a PM if seriously interested $1400, you pick it up AZphoenix metro)
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="3">Strap it to a mid 60's VW bus, and haul a$$ in it
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="4">cut most the body off the 73C10, make a hybrid uglystick, with more power then it will ever need
    <INPUT TYPE=RADIO NAME=option VALUE="5">other (please elaborate below)
    <INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

-Rich

My truck isn't ugly, you have a skewed sense of beauty

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

2. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Put it in a crate, add plenty of Helium (...to reduce the weight) and send to S/Africa....LOL At the current exchange rate I might just be able to afford the postage!!!!.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Im pretty close ... give it to me [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    GO BUSH

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

GIVE it away? nope... I'd build a barstool racer out of it first... :-P

until just now, it was a deadlock tie between `put it in the K20' `put it in a VW bus' and ` cut up the C10, and make a hybrid out of it'

-Rich

<font color=blue>2007 Ford XLS++ intrepid Ram Superduty 7000 R-type's suck</font color=blue>

5. chevyboy24598

chevyboy24598 1/2 ton status

GIVE IT TO ME!!!!!! You pay shipping.

Rust=Good
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bodatious.com> bodatious </a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudboggingfun.homestead.com> my site </a>

6. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Oh, it's a toss up between the VW and the uglystick.... Or you could put it in my M37....

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

7. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Make a 502 out of it, and when the engine in the current beastie cradles voila' a DAMNED GOOD REPLACEMENT!!!!

still a very pissed-off
    White Knight

8. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Leave the VW's alone! Tired of seeing people chop them up,or putting 350's or more into them!

Dark Lotus-Tales from the Lotus Pod
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</a>

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Poster: UseYourBlinker
    Subject: Re: What should I do with this Spare 454?

Leave the VW's alone! Tired of seeing people chop them up,or putting 350's or more into them!

<hr></blockquote>

that was my brothers thought when I said I wanted to find a dual side sliding door VW van to put it in... although it was more like ` I will kill you, tear your head off, and s--- down your throat if you do that to a dual door Kombi...' but think about it... put it in the middle, with a firewall between the front seat, and the engine, with the dual doors, so you can access the engine from both sides... I think it'd be sweet, and it'd make that bus fly like the wind... of course, chances of me finding a VW bus that old, with dual side doors, ( as in middle/rear doors on both the driver, and passenger side) for a price I could afford to kill it at are so infantesimaly small, that you should be able to sleep at night...

with that said, I;m going to find one in the trader tomorrow that costs all of 200 bucks, with a completely rust free body going on.

besides, this isn't a 350... its a 454 bored .030 over, with a mild torque cam in it, and I wouldn't be chopping it.. I;d use a sawzall to cut the requisite hole in the floor.

-Rich

10. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

i would prep the motor for when your current one S**t's out.. and keep the extra one in storage for the time being... but hey i'm a pack rat...

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

it makes some good solid sense, since the current 350 in teh K20 has some low oil pressure problems... figgure that with my luck, I ought to spin a bearing before too much longer, and then kick myself in the head for not keeping the engine. so, now all I have to do is find the proper tranny/transfer case combo, unless anyone thinks my T350 stands a chance behind the 454, for more then say a month. heck, I even have a spare T400, that's in rebuildable condition... it does need a rebuild, but its only a 2wd tranny... have to take it down to a tranny shop, and see if they can mate it to a Tcase for me when they rebuild it, or sompin... perhaps use it as a chance to put a Doubler, or over/underdrive unit inline... so many possibilities, it hurts...

-Rich

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I can help ease the pain. For a small fee, I'll remove all this stuff for you.

Or, you could donate it to science; I hope to do a comparison soon between the Caddy 500 and the Chevy 454... Just need the motors and tranny's...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

13. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

remove....my stuff....

GET THE HELL AWAY FROM MY TREASURE TROVE!!!! [​IMG]

its MY 454, I get to EAT IT!

prolly what I'll do is check out the engine, perhaps put in a more radical cam, and then in the dead of winter, I'll do the swap, if I have my hands on the proper Tranny/Tcase combo, and perhaps a D60... figgure I'll get the D60, about the time I want to upgrade to crossover steering, so that shouldn't be a problem.

the problem will be, trying to find a spot I can do all of this at, without pissing off too many factions... perhaps what I'll do is take it to a local tranny shop that does tranny's well, and have them do the transmission swap, before/after I do the engine swap. that way, I don't need to tie up the driveway, or train shop for more then a few days while I do the swap...

-Rich

14. BAD LUCK 79'

so when you say factions you mean the WIFE right?? and she don't want parts all over the yard and driveway... don't feel bad i have the same problem...

15. BAD LUCK 79'

so when you say factions you mean the WIFE right?? and she don't want parts all over the yard and driveway... don't feel bad i have the same problem...

16. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Whats the deal with the Boy Scout Emblem under your name?

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

17. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

actually, I'm not married... I;m currently bumming at my parents house, and they;re the factions I speak of... that and the PITA neighbors... come January tho, I'll be out of there, and not have to deal with them any more...

as for the Boy Scout emblem, its for several reasons... first off, I;m an Eagle scout, next, I'm an Assistant Scout Master for a small troop here in Tempe, and finaly, I couldn't htink of anything better to put there for now. eventually, I'll prolly change it to something else, but for now that works for me.

-Rich