Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what should i do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by landon, Oct 5, 2005.

1. landon

landon Registered Member

seeing as im 14 and have loads of money burning a hole in my pocket i have a few options, but what one is best for a rather newb fullsize 4wheeler and daily driver i have no idea.

i can set it up with a 4" lift and bushwacker cut outs with 35s or 33s and a rear posi for about 800 (w/o tire cost).
    2.or i can go with stock size tires and body protection from blazenoffroad.com, i really like there tube bumpers, so a tube bumper for the front and posi rear limited slip front all for about 900 which is what i really like to do because ill be able to do more locked f/r and with a little bit of protection on the front my parents wouldnt know what im doing (yeah right... there like pyschic or something)
    3.or what my dad is suggesting new paint, rhino lining, and new stereo for about 1200

all in all im totally clueless but i would mind having protection all around for like 1100 (rear bumper, front bumper, tube doors, rock gaurds)

2. atvaddict

atvaddict Registered Member

im just 18, and i have a burban and i know how it is when you want to spend money...what kind of truck do you have?...providing that the truck u get/have runs good, i would go to suspention modifications first of all. How much and what kind of wheeling do you plan to do?...if ur idea of flex is hopping up onto a curb..then the fenderflares and bumbers and things like that will make u look cool...but if your really into wheeling..go performance before that other stuff...like tires,locker, axels, shocks, springs, and a good lift, and then add the little things later. thats jmo.

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Not sure what rig you have but I would suggest lockers front and rear first because even if you have nice tires and a lift you aint goin anywhere if the tires arent turnin. Next I would do a lift (size is up to you) and tires. When you do the lift keep in mind you may need to do gears(highly suggested) to bring your truck back to stock spec to compinsate for the larger tires. Bumpers ect are a good idea but wont help much once in the goo.

This is just my opinion however, others may see diffrently.

Also, try the search function. I learned alot by goin back and searching all the old posts that I could find.

Good luck with your build up.

Dustin

4. landon

landon Registered Member

First off i have an 86 K-5 Blazer, it only has about 60,000 miles on it (deffintaly not 160,000 because it only had about 8000 when my uncle bought it and he had it from about 92 till now and he swears its never seen 100,000). I would do moderate 4wheeling (mainly around the farm, some rock on vacations) but it gets pretty hairy in the middle of a 50 acre field when youve got mud up to your hubs and on roads that only have tractors or atvs going down them. I like the idea of a locker better than the other things, what would you suggest? Can I get two for about 400dollars (i just put all the rest in the bank for college (parents idea))? or I was thinking to buy a limited slip for the front and looking in junk yards for a 10bolt with a limited slip rear, and ill have some xtra shafts.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well im 17, and i started my project when i was 16. i had to buy the k5 first, but then got a lift and new driveshafts. ive got new axles with gears and a detroit in my garage that are gonna be installed next week. also have sye parts for my t-case when i get around to it. of course im no where near done.

get the lift and locker first.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My suggestion , and opinion :

1. Make sure its reliable first and foremost .

2. Buy the rear locker .

Then you can do the lift and larger tires as you go .

I wouldn't really want a limited slip up front , just because the frnt shafts are weaker than rear shafts , and it takes wheelspeed to work .

7. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

what do you want the truck to do? Look good or wheel good? That is the main decision- my opinion, I wouldn't waste any money on paint, or a stereo, or fancy wheels, or even protection at this point. You'll only look good stuck. I'd focus on free tricks- reduce weight first and foremost, make sure it's tuned properly, pry up your spring keepers for flex, then get a real locker for the rear. I wouldn't get a posi, aka limited slip, they will slip if allowed to and cost too much to justify. If you're driving mostly off road on a farm, the bad points of a locker won't come into play (noisy and jerky on pavement). Stick with 35" tires max, more like 33's if you don't have $800 to change gearing. Get some good aggressive mud tires, not all terrains.
    If you care about looks, get a lift, otherwise hack those fenders to clear. No reason to lift other than to clear tires. Lift is going to set you back about $1000-1500 to do it right- shimming differentials, longer brakes lines, shocks, avoiding rear blocks, gear swap if you go to bigger tires, steering correction, etc.

I'd save my money for further down the road.

8. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

My suggestion is to do what suits you best. Everyone has their own ideas what they'd like to do. What I did was to get a rear locker first, then upgraded other things as I went along. I also like tube bumpers, and I bought one from Smittybuilt many moons ago, but Im going to replace it next year with a Hanson bumper..........Its "your" project, have fun doing the upgrades. (Just gotta convince the parents!)

9. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

After seein a limited slip in action, I would NEVER buy one, but that is my opinion. The LSD had all of the characteristics of a locker on road but sucked offroad. I would think you have the factory eaton poisitive traction differental (govloc). For me it has worked great. Ive had zero problems with it. That being said, I'm only running 31 inch tires so I'm not really stressing it to much. The govloc has a reputation of breaking but when ive heard of it breakin its been with large tires which put a large strain on it.
    The point I'm tryin to make here is I would run the factory govloc (if thats what you have) until it breaks and use the money to put a locker up front. Lockrights can be had cheap and are easier to install as compaired to a detroit because you dont have to remove the carrier ect. When the govloc breaks I would upgrade to a 14 bolt and a detroit so you have a stronger rear axle to support larger tires and a strong diff.

Others have diffrent views on what to do ect. This is just my 2 cents worth.

All of this being said, it is your project so build it as you will.

10. landon

landon Registered Member

as i have said i want to lock it first and foremost. my dad has a guy he works with that welds tubing for a contractor and he'll build me a rollcage or bumpers for cheap. lockers first then lift or bumpers. i havent found any good deals on lockers yet and searching hasnt revealed anything so if you know of any please tell me.