Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what should i do

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Jul 9, 2001.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have a 87 k5 and i replaced my water neck but the problem i ran into was the bolt holes on my intake manifold are stripped so i cant run the truck without anti freeze leaking so what can i do would thread repair work or do i have to get a new intake manifold?

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'd give Form-A-Thread a try before going the new manifold route. You may also be able to tap it out to the next size, and ream the water neck.

<font color=red>Cripplefight!!</font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A> Updated finally[​IMG]

3. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem on an 87 caprice with a 305. It never sealed right when i tried to fix it. It just kept leaking. You might be able to drill it out and tap a bigger hole. I started looking for another manifold until a lifter grenaded and took care of my problem.

Craig

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Well you can get a tap and die set and drill out the holes and tap new threads for the next size bigger bolt. Or you can get a heli coil with the same size threads as stock from a auto parts store. but You will still need to drill it out and tap new threads to install the heli coil. If you dont want to do any of the above. Pull the manifold and take it to a machine shop they will be able to fix it for around 20-40 dollars

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?</font color=orange>

5. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

You can get heli-coils at almost any parts store. Once you have these in, you won't ever have to worry about the holes stripping out again.