Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what should I do

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazingboy, Dec 18, 2001.

1. blazingboy

blazingboy 1/2 ton status

Ok everybody I got to make a decision becuase I have to tell my dad which tires I want tonight should I go with 33's with a four inch lift or 33's with a 2 and a half or 35's with a four inch I want the 35's but I don't want to regear and I also have a overdrive transmission.Guys what should I do?

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Once you get the 2.5" with 33's you Will want bigger, go with the 4" and 35's. I dought you'll regret it [​IMG] Also, maybe get a 4" lift and 33's so when you have money to regear you can bigger and with the 2.5" lift it hinders what you can do in the long run!

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Whichever tires you get, get the 4" lift for sure. From there you can run just about any tires you'd ever want (39.5s if you do MAD fender trimming. re-gear etc!) 4" is just a good amount of lift for a Blazer/Jimmy...gets you up in the air, but not so high you are ready to tip over. Personally, I think 8"or more of suspension lift is just for show or street trucks unless you are running some phat 44" tires or something. Just my opinion.

Jason

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown

4. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    It all depends on how you wheel your K/5 and what your existing gears are.If you have 3.73's or better then I would go for 35" tires.I would for sure go for a 4" lift.The 6" lift requires alot more equipment to go with it.You will in time go to 35" tires or larger.Decide what you plan on doing to your truck now and go from there.DO IT ONCE.....IT'S ALOT CHEAPER!!!

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

DO IT ONCE....IT'S ALOT CHEAPER!!!, good advice that's why i went with a 4" and i got 36" swampers the first time. definitely get the 4", you'll regret getting the 2.5". my friend has a 2.5" on his '79 jimmy and we thought it was cool until i got my 4" now he's going taller. and the 35"s on his truck look small next to my swampers so he's getting 36"s too.

people that get good mileage aren't having any fun!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

6. vince13

vince13 1/2 ton status

go with the 35's or you will be kicking yourself in a few months, once your truck just doesn't seem big anymore

73 Blazer 1Ton 6inch lift, 3 inch body, 36 inch swampers
    79 3/4 ton suburban, soon to be 6 inch lift, 3 inch body, and 44 in boggers. Oh ya

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I would go 35's w/ a 4" lift... great look! Then also figure to regear or reaxle down the road. It is another mod that will make your truck way more fun. I say go 4.10's for 33's and 4.56's for 35's... although 3.73's and 4.10's would work too

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

4in springs in front-ORD 4 in flip out back-1in zero rate blocks-
    35in tires-4.56 gears w/overdrive. 4in lift with 35's looks good
    but that extra inch makes it look better yet. BUT- CV driveshaft
    here you come...
    Do the 4 incher. With 33's it will look like a 6in.
    -Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff & CV driveshaft

9. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

It's easy for me to sit here at my computer and tell you how to spend your money, but if you go with a 4" and 35's, like the others have suggested, you'll be happy. I wouldn't worry about regearing with 35's unless you start wheeling hard. I ran a 4" lift, 35's, 2.56 gears, TH350 and a 305! How's that for a messed up combo! But I still drove it on daily basis and wheeled it on a weekly basis without complaints. Once I swapped out the NP208 for an NP205 and lost some more gearing, I was forced to get a FF 14 bolt with 3:73's. I had to do it, I was forced to! Honest![​IMG]

WHEN WILL THE MADNESS STOP???

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

10. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

Hi,

What do you mean by "CV drive shaft here you come"? Because I am working on the same set up you described.
    Thanx