Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I do?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FirstGenBlazer, Apr 24, 2003.

1. FirstGenBlazer

FirstGenBlazer Registered Member

Hey, I'm always over here i just rarely post. Anyway, I am going back to school pretty soon so my project 72 Blazer is gonna have to sit for 2 years before I can get any time and money to work on it. I love my blazer too much to do that so I want to sell it to a good home. Or I was thinking of parting it out but I really hate to do that. I will buy another one as soon as I get done with school (I'm in love with them). So, should I part it out or sell it as a whole? The body is in pretty rough shape, its got some cancer in the rockers and some other places. It's got a 350V8 with only 3,500 fresh miles on her. Along with a new TH350 and NP205 transfer case. She just needs some TLC and you could turn her into a rock crawler or a cherry show truck. Sigh, I hate to sell it but I think its will be better in the long run. Anybody else get this attached to your truck, lol.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

NOT SELL IT!!!

I don't see anything wrong with parking it for 2years /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My blazer sits most of the year and is just a Summer play toy. Just buy some cheep A to B type car.

3. TED

TED Registered Member

What you should do is listen to Triaged, if you sell it you will regret it later. You already know what you have into this one and Im sure you have plans for what you want it to become. Park it for a few years and work on it when you can and read this board for two years, then you will know all you need to know when the buildup begins.

Option 2- Do what I did and move into a college house with a bunch of roomates who don't know what a garage is for. Take over the garage and do the inexpensive upgrades until later when you can afford the other stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. FirstGenBlazer

Being that it is gonna sit for that long and I'm gonna have to do a frame up restoration should I pull the engine to keep it out of the weather and such? I also need to put it up on blocks... Well, I'm gonna need the two years to learn how to do bodywork, as of right now I don't know anything about it and that worries me cause I have lots to do (can you say rusted rocker panels).

5. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

hey, definitely keep it. But I heard someone around here talking about a cathodic rust control system, so you might want to look into that so you don't have a bigger rust problem later.

6. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

What part of the country are you in?

I've done what I call "oiling" a motor (I've also seen it call "fogging" by some of the Corvette guys who store their cars for winter) on a couple of ocasions. Get the motor running on fast idle and pour up to a quart of motor oil down the carb. This will leave a coat of oil on all the internals along the intake track. This should keep you from worrying about any condensation caused rust in any of the cylinders.

As for the body -- I'm not sure what kind of specialized rust preventatives are out there -- but, again, a good coat of oil - this time applied with a pump up sprayer on the under sides of fenders and directly on the rusted areas -- I've never done this, but have seen it written up in magazines - be sure to park it on dirt when you squirt all that oil.

good luck

7. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I fogged my factory 350 before I put in my new 350. I almsot cried when it sputterd out the last stroke.

8. FirstGenBlazer

Wonder if I could just wd-40 the rusty spots. I live in SLC Utah so we get bad winters and hot summers. Dumping oil down the carb? That just dosn't sound like a good idea to me, lol. I guess it could work. The blazer dosn't run right now. I took some stuff off the engine already thinking i was gonna get time to restore it. So now its in peices, sob. I'm sure there is already some rust in the engine, hopefully not a whole lot or my rings will be shot. I'll probably just re-hone it and put on new rings before I get her going again.

9. Big Sean E

Big Sean E Registered Member

Fogging the engine is what we do to our boats after we take 'em out for winter. Doesn't hurt the engine, and come spring, all you should have to change are plugs and fluids. Remove and store your battery, get some black Rustolium spray paint for those trouble spots underneath, and don't forget to use a fuel stabilizer should you choose to let your vehicle sit for a long period of time. Just remember... It's cheaper to keep her!

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's cheaper to keep her!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL .. heard that about wives, but not rusty old trucks .. seems appropriate though

11. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

You can fill the block up and cylinders threw the carb with diesel fuel. Drowing everything in this should keep away rust. I did this to my 67 truck 13 years ago, drained it last year and filled it with fresh plugs and oil. It smoked like a train for about 10 minuts, but runs fine now. Also on the underside rust problem. If you drain your oil to added the diesel, you can use it. dunk a rag in the oil and paint the underside and rust prone areas. This should stop rust for a few. I personaly have sold and rebought back my truck 2 times now. I have always regretted selling it. If you have the chance and a place to just stash it, do so. For the next 2 years get a p.o.s to bomb around and save the cash for the revive of the k5. Just my opinion.

12. FirstGenBlazer

No way I was really ever gonna sell her, i just needed you guys to help remind me of that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It is my first car, I baught it when I was 16 so not only do I love it cause its a good looking truck, but its my first. I will see if I can get her back togeather next weekend and fog the engine. The fuel has already been sitting in it for awhile so its gone bad by now. Lousy school ends up taking all my money. Thanks for the tips guys I apperciate it.

13. rrent

rrent 1/2 ton status

I agree - if you can, keeping is always a good thing - 8 or 10 years from now after you've graduated, gotten rich and famous, and restored the Blazer - you'll be glad you did.

If you are sure you have rust in any cylinder(s) -- the Studebaker guys use something in a red can - I believe its called Magical Mystery Oil - I'm pretty sure that's it -- I have some in the garage, but to lazy to go look. By squirting this into the cylinder(s) -- it should allow you to break loose any rust and allow you to turn the motor over by hand -- even if you've removed parts that would keep it from starting. Once you can turn it by hand the diesel idea sounds good. Remeber you are going to have to remove the plugs (temporarily) to turn it over.

WD-40 will go away pretty quick -- but paint or oil on the body rust should help.

good luck

14. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Don't use WD-40 as long term storage solution - it's okay for clean-up - it has fish oil in it and it tends to actually attract water after long periods of setting.