Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What should I expect.....head work ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Jan 14, 2003.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

OK, Just bought another set of heads...well actually 2 sets. The old style double humps 187x I think. But anyway going to find a machine shop where the heads are to have the work done before they come to me. (in Alaska) I would like some of your experience with costs to have the works done,seats,guides,valves,screw in studs with plates, double springs, etc. And i would like a mild port job,unshroud valves,pocket port,gasket match,bowl hog the chambers for the larger valves. So anyone who does this for a living or has had it done would be great and your suggestions for what else to do. THX /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

For the price of a set of World Products heads you would prolly be money ahead to just save up and get those.
    They already have the valves and such and are basicly ready to bolt on and go.
    Port match the intake and heads and you would be set.
    If I had a SBC that is the way I would go.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A bone stock basic rebuild, not using screw in studs will run you EASILY $300. Bigger valves, better springs, and definitely port work will set you back another couple of hundred dollars easily.

You are so much better off going with Vortecs or aftermarkets its not funny. The newer heads are simply more efficient, and in the case of the aftermarket, compared with stock camel humps, flow way better, have better combustion chambers, already have screw in studs (maybe even guideplates), have larger valves, and are brand new.

Sure, the cheapest I've seen them is $900 or so for a pair of cast iron aftermarket heads. (of course, Vortecs can be had for probably $6-700 including intake, but are not screw in studs nor made for high lift/high RPM use, with 1.94/1.5 valves and weaker springs)

Add up the cost of the camel hump rebuild (including acquisition costs, you can resell them for the same price if you didn't get ripped off) then compare that to a set of NEW heads that are better, and always will be, to the camel humps. You'll make better power with lower octane gas, and still have all the other benefits of worked-on camel humps. It will cost a bit more I'm sure, but any time you want to make power, its going to cost you plain and simple.

Camel humps are still way overrated by some people, so if you got a good deal on them, you might be able to resell them for a bit more than you paid.

Anyway, thats my suggestion. I'd be going with some aftermarket AL heads if I could justify them $$ wise, but for my lower RPM/torque truck motor, Vortecs were the (cheap) ticket.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> PM 4x4HIGH, he runs a machine shop and does head work. He might be able to locate a set of heads for you, do the work and ship them out all for a good deal. </font color>

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just keep in mind for next time, that you could get the "Jeggster" heads from Jeg's ( 1-800-345-4545 ) pretty cheap. They're Dart 2 heads that Jeg's puts manley valves in. I forget what springs they use, but they are good ones. World Products heads at cheap price [​IMG]

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

For by BBC heads, it was $326. That was for:

-Milled .010"
    -3-angle valve-job
    -New valve guides
    -New Seals
    -Clean and inspection
    -Light port and polish

That was all done bhy a reputable builder here in town..

Chris

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I agree with everybody. With the price of new heads, It's cheaper to buy new than to have old heads rebuilt and modified. Last set of S.B. heads I had done cost 950.00 with manly valves, compcams hyd rollor springs, all machine work. bought heads for 200.00. would have been far cheaper to buy new and not wait. slap them on and run! Jegster haeds are good. you can also go direct to world products and have them built to your specs.